Flashbacks and Chillidogs

Things were going absolutely amazing with Roman. He was being himself and free and most of all, incredibly happy. Both of the confrontations with his parents seemed to have gone very well and I was so excited about what his newfound freedom filled future would hold. One day he came in to the house with Evan, helping him carry in some large piece of furniture.

"Woah whats that?" I asked once they had set it down.

"It's a gift from my father." Said Roman. "He had it delivered but it didn't come with delivery men."

They set it down and Evan went off to run errands. Once I got a good look at it I realized what it was. It was a beautiful desk, it looked antique. It had 6 drawers that were carved with stunning intricate patterns. It just looked extremely expensive. "Wow a gift? What for?"

"I'm not sure, he left a note though." The note was in French and Roman read it out loud to himself. Even the note looked fancy it was closed in an envelope with one of those wax stamp thingies. As Roman read he started cheerful but soon the tone in his voice turned monotonous, then sadder as he read quieter, then finally he stopped reading out loud and finished the note silently with a look of betrayal on his face.

"Something wrong? What does the note say?" I asked.

"Oh no no its nothing. It just says he's proud of me for finding a lover finally but it has undertones of saying he's still disappointed in me for not being perfect and that the desk is to remind me that work is life and my life is meaningless if I don't get back to work so—haha! Wonderful present. Gotta love that guy." Then he just started laughing.

"Uh... that doesn't seem like a nice note." I said, extremely confused.

Roman just kept laughing. Then he threw the note in the desk of the drawer and immediately stopped, standing silent.

"Roman?" I said.

"Let's go do something fun, Amari." He said.

"Uh—" I wanted to question what just happened.

"Amari." He interrupted. "Let's go out and do something fun."

"O—Okay would you like to do?" I took it as he just wanted to distract himself.

"Why don't you take me to try a new food? And then we can work on that photo album you were talking about."

"Alright sure. Wanna go get chili dogs?"

"Chili-dog?" He said as if it was the most absurd thing he's ever heard in his life.

"Oh now we're definitely getting chili dogs!"

I brought Roman to a little restaurant in the city. He looked around like a little kid but was super excited to be somewhere new. We sat down and he asked, "So what exactly is a chili dog?"

"Do you know what a hot dog is?"

"Yes I believe so. Aren't they the sausage sandwiches served in a small loaf sliced in half?"

"Yes. Good job. Now have you ever had one?"

"No. I can't say that I ever have."

"Alright well chili dogs are just hot dogs with chili. You've had chili right?"

"Yes, that i've actually had! And I can say that I am a fan."

"Wonderful! I bet you'll like chili dogs then. What do you want on yours I'll order for you?"

"What... goes on it..."

"Well you want cheese? Onions? Jalapeños?"

"I like jalapeños."