Twenty-four Years

River made her way around the corner, expecting to find her husband. Instead, she found herself facing Hydroflax's giant, red, metal body. But the head on top was instantly recognizable.

"Ramone?" she gasped.

"Professor Song," he said. "The Doctor will be with you in a moment."

She made her way towards him. "What are you doing here?"

"They pulled us from the wreckage, ma'am. Fixed us up. I've been working here ever since. Don't worry. The nasty part's all gone. Got deleted in a merger," he assured her.

Her eyes ran over the robot body. "What about Nardole?"

"Oh, Merry Christmas, ma'am," Nardole's voice echoed from inside the body. "Yeah, good to see you again."

She blinked in surprise before grinning. "Merry Christmas, Nardole!"

"Sorry I'm off duty. I'm just having some me time."

"I imagine that must be quite a challenge," she called.

"Yes, ma'am." Nardole chuckled.

"So, Ramone," River said. "You have a metal body now." She raised a hand, running her palm over the smooth metal.

A voice came from behind her.

"Down, girl."

River spun around to see her husband standing a few feet away. He had swapped his burgundy velvet jacket for a black suit and tie. Pulling a gold box out from behind his back, he started towards her.

"Now that, my dear, is a suit," she complimented.

"Happy Christmas," he said, offering her the box. It had a red ribbon and bow decorating the top.

"Really?" she asked, glancing at him. "I don't think you've ever given me a present before."

He shrugged. Glancing at him curiously, she lifted the lid and peeked inside.

"Oh, it's a sonic screwdriver!" she gasped, gently touching the end of it with her thumb. "How lovely!"

"When I saw the sonic trowel, I thought it was just embarrassing," he explained, gesturing awkwardly. "But, look."

He took it out of the box and activated it, taking the opportunity to save her consciousness into it and setting it to continue taking readings off of her.

"Oh, thank you," she exclaimed as he put the screwdriver back in the box. She caught his head in her hand and pulled him closer, pressing a kiss to both of his cheeks.

He grinned at her, surprised that he hadn't minded the familiar gesture. They started towards the balcony.

"You look, uh, amazing," he stammered, gesturing vaguely at her dress.

"Doctor, you have no idea whether I look amazing or not," River laughed.

"Well, you've cer— You've moved your hair about, haven't you?" He pointed hopefully at her hair.

"Well done. It's very sweet of you to try."

"So what do you think?" He placed a hand on her arm, pulling her onto the balcony as he set the box on the table. He pointed at the view before then. "The Singing Towers."

River stared in awe at the sight in front of her. The two pillars stood tall on the horizon, lit up by the golden sun setting behind them. She was drawn towards them like a magnet, and she let out a soft gasp. He moved to stand beside her, watching her fondly.