| F I V E |

Mariella

I gradually feel my body waking up, and see that I am in Mateo's car once again

I gradually feel my body waking up, and see that I am in Mateo's car once again. My cheek smashed against the window like a child first discovering the silliness of smashing their noses into pig-like forms.

I slowly open my eyes, which are still droopy; a cause of the massive headache I have. I rotate my head slightly, so Mateo doesn't notice and look at him. If I'm being honest, what I see kind of scared me. The stone-cold face does nothing to hide the look of anger in his eyes. He looks as though he wants to murder someone, but by the sight of his bruised and bloodied hands, I'm sure he has already.

It's almost as if he can sense my gaze on him, as he takes a quick glance at me. A small, barely noticeable grin makes its way onto his face and his features soften up.

"How are you feeling Bambina?"

My heart speeds up at the use of the nickname. He's called me that ever since we first met, and I didn't really think much about it the past few days when he has used the endearment. "I'm alright," I slightly croak out, feeling weird and beaten down; helpless.

I bend my head from side to side, getting satisfying cracks each time, before looking into the back seats. Immediately I am welcomed by the sight of Vivi and Angel in their separate car seats, each with a blanket that I don't recognize. This is when I become aware of the soft blanket covering me as well. I figure that Mateo must've had them somewhere, or possibly stopped somewhere to get them. I get stuck in a daze; watching my babies snoozing, and can't help but think back to earlier and hope that they didn't see anything bad that happened today.

Turning back around, I catch a glimpse of Mateo with an even wider grin than before and look at the time. It was around 3:45 by the time we got picked up, so it's strange considering that it's now 7:31, I guess I hadn't noticed that it was already dark out. I consider asking where we're going and realize that I'm also still very tired.

I lean my head over the middle console, and rest against Mateo's bicep, "Where are we going?"

I feel a small chuckle ripple though his muscular yet soft arms as he wraps his right one around me, "Our new place, princess." Normally I would argue to that, insist on staying back home, even if that meant the old house where me and Mateo made all of our memories. I don't think I could ever go back to the apartment. Right now, however, I am sleepy, and don't mind much.
Just before I fall back asleep, I turn into his arm more and catch a glimpse of a tattoo that I never have seen before.

'Mariella' is written beautifully in a perfectly shaped heart. My heart flutters, and I lost control of my emotions. A tear drops down my cheek, but I am quick to wipe it.

The last thing I remember before going to sleep is muttering words I thought I'd never get the chance to say.

"I missed you, Teo."