Ten: Modest

Vera's delicately musical ringtone sounded appallingly obnoxious at two in the morning.

Grumbling, she fumbled, eyes still shut, towards the sound assaulting her eardrums. Finding the cool plastic of her phone case with clumsy fingertips, she shoved it against her ear. "Hello?"

Gentle piano melody continued to stab her ears, now at painfully close range. With a groan, Vera pried her eyes open so she could actually find the button to accept the call.

Ivy's screaming replaced the cacophony of the ring.

"Jesus, Ivy," Vera mumbled, grinding the heel of her palm into her sticky eye. "It's too late for this."

"What the fuck, Vera! What the fuck!"

"Oh." Cottony brain spinning thickly, Vera rolled onto her back. "Did you see my post?"

"I saw your fucking post! You posted a picture of Carmen fucking Juarez!" Ivy screeched. "From inside her closet! Her beautiful, impossible, mouthwatering, I-want-that-fucking-closet closet!"

Vera snorted out a pleased laugh.

Carmen had immediately loved Vera's idea for a behind-the-scenes series as a perfect complement to her new strategy. The first post, a teaser, was already up. The next would go up in a week, and then one after their (hoped-for) win at Teen Taste. Frequent enough to capture interest while leaving Carmen's fans wanting more. And frequent enough to keep Vera in the conversation. Because as contagious as Carmen's passion was, Vera had to keep things in perspective. Carmen was fickle. She could fire Vera in a week. For Vera, leveraging this situation for her own career was more important than whether the actress got more headlines than Troy or won an Oscar.

"I told you, Ivy," Vera said. "LA."

"How? You-- I mean-- Seriously, Vee, what the actual fuck? Why didn't you tell me?"

"We were doing this trial thing. I didn't wanna tell you until I was sure it was for real. Plus there was this whole deal with the NDA." Vera let her free arm flop out onto the bed. She couldn't help the smug tone that crept into her voice. "Anyway, it's official now. I'm Carmen's stylist. Why are you calling me in the middle of the night?"

"Because I'm in Bali but like a good sister I needed to celebrate with you. I'm so fucking happy for you, Vee! This is so, so amazing!"

An embarrassingly big smile caught Vera's lips. She was glad Ivy couldn't see it.

"I want all the pics," Ivy said. "Is LA nice? Is Carmen really as hot in person? Oh my God, did you know you have like a hundred thousand followers now?"

"A hundred? It was only seventy when I went to bed."

"Oh my God, stop, you can't make me believe you're jaded about this already." Ivy laughed. "Not when Carmen herself is sharing your posts."

Vera snickered. "It just doesn't feel real yet. But this's the whole point. Carmen gets a glow-up and I get the credit. Next step, more clients and a million followers and a collaboration with Fatima Bhatia."

"You could never. She's top of the game. Totally out of your league."

"So is working for Carmen Juarez. But look where I am," Vera said.

"I'm seriously impressed," Ivy admitted. "That plaid look was iconic. Even I want it. You're really gonna be famous if you don't fuck this up."

Vera's happiness cracked like a stiletto heel through glass. "Really, Ivy? Can't you just be happy for me without being a bitch for once in your fucking life?"