Chapter 2 - You Could Use A Buddy.

It's been about a week since I moved in.

I'm pretty much unpacked. The Maitlands help around the house and we get along pretty well.

The only problem was I still didn't have a job. The bills were piling up quickly and I needed to find anything to do to pay them.

So, I put on my coat and headed into town for the first time.

I checked a couple of bars, a couple of cafes, even a few small mom and pop shops, but nobody seemed to hiring so I eventually gave up and headed back to the house.

As I slumped through the door with a heavy heart, I heard Adam sweeping in the living room.

He heard me come in and happily said, "What's up, kiddo? Back so soon?"

"Yeah, wasn't much anyway." I said, flinging myself onto the couch.

"Aww cheer up. I'm sure there's somewhere in town that's hiring." He said, before going back to his cleaning.

I rolled my eyes. As much I loved the Maitlands, they sure had a way of looking at the glass being half full.

It was sort of intimidating. Like if I didn't match their happiness, then I was a bad person.

I shook my sad thoughts from my head. I didn't need to think like that. I already had enough problems. Let's not add, 'Partaking in a happiness competition with my new ghost friends' to the list.

"I need some water." I said, getting up from the couch and heading into the kitchen.

As I got closer to the fridge, I saw a flyer being held on the fridge with a magnet.

I know I hadn't put it on there, so I assumed the Maitlands had.

I took it off the fridge and read it.

Looking to get the noisy living out of your house?
Or maybe you're just looking for a friend!
Either way, I'm your guy!
You're very own bio-exorcist!

To contact, say

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

What kind of sick joke was this? Also, we're the Maitlands trying to get rid of me? I thought we got along. Or maybe they were lonely? But they had each other.

Or did they leave this for me?

"Barbara! Adam!" I yelled, walking back to the living room.

"Hi sweetie!" I heard Barbara say as her and Adam floated into view.

I still had the flyer in my hand. They both looked at it, eagerly awaiting what I was about to show them.

"What is this?" I said, handing them the flyer. Upon reading it, their faces drained of color - well as much color as there was left in their ghostly faces.

"Umm, that's a good question. And the answer is, we don't know." Adam answered, handing the flyer back.

I could tell they were lying; their previous reactions were enough to tell me that.

"You're telling me you didn't leave this on my fridge?"

They shook their heads no, then turned to each other and whispered something I couldn't hear.

"What's going on?"

"We aren't sure how you came into contact with the flyer, but please, for your own health and safety, just throw it away. We know who the flyer is referencing. And it'd be best if you just stayed away from him."

I looked down to the flyer in my hand.

"If you're sure."

I stuffed the flyer into my pocket and decided I would throw it away later.

------------

Later that night, as I got ready for bed, I remembered the flyer in my pocket.

I pulled it out and looked at it once more.

Looking to get the noisy living out of your house?
Or maybe you're just looking for a friend!
Either way, I'm your guy!
You're very own bio-exorcist!

To contact, say

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

Or maybe you're just looking for a friend.

The words echoed through my mind. I was lonely, but the Maitlands said he was trouble and I didn't want to make them angry.

But then again, it couldn't hurt to just try, right?

"Beetlejuice." It's going to be ok.

"Beetlejuice." I don't have to be alone anymore.

"Beetlejuice." Wait! I take it back.

But it was too late.

A puff of green smoke, and a man stood in front of me. Well, floated.

He wore a black and white striped suit, although it was covered in dirt and moss. It was clearly old and worn, with the seams coming unraveled in certain places.

His hair was clearly inspired by a pompadour; it looked quite fluffy. It was brown, with green tips.

His skin was ashy white and his face was sunken in. He looked dead to be honest.

"You called, babe?"