Chapter 9 - Don't You Want A Pal?

"Goodness gracious, that IS weird!"

"I know right! I figured I'd better not question it but it still kinda freaks me out." I set the stack of books I was carrying on the front desk next to Peyton. "Barbara and Adam said I might be sleep walking but I've never done it before."

"Are those your parents?"

I thought for a moment before answering. "You could say that."

"Well, I don't know what to make of that situation." Peyton turned back to her computer before her eyes widened. "Maybe you didn't sleep walk."

"Oh gee that thought never entered my mind." I sarcastically said back.

"No think about it! What if-" Peyton's phone chimed before she could finish. She looked down at her phone and smiled, a very audible awww coming from her mouth.

"What is it? Who's that?"

"Oh no one. So, as I was saying- " I was the one who interrupted Peyton this time.

"Oh no no no. We can talk about my weird situation in a minute. Who was that?"

Peyton couldn't hold back the smile forming on her face. "Ok! You got me! There's this really cute person who comes in every week to get a new book and one day I just asked for their number and they gave it to me!"

"Score one for Peyton!" I gave her a small high five. "So what do they look like?"

"Well they're really tall, wayyy taller than me, they have this really pretty bubblegum colored hair, they have the most gorgeous eyes, their style is so super cool and oh goodness it just makes my heart flutter when I think about them!" Her hands found their way to her cheeks, her elbows rested on the countertop.

"So what was the text about?"

"They want to come to the bookstore to specifically see me!"

"Aww, Peyton! That's so nice of them!"

"I know right! We've been friends for a little bit but it feels like I've known them my whole life! We have so much in common. It feels like I've met the perfect one for me."

"If you really feel that way, you should go for it! What's holding you back?"

"Well, the fact that we haven't been friends for super long. I'd love to ask them out but I'm pretty nervous to. I mean, they might not feel the same way and thinking about telling them gives me goosebumps!"

I thought for a moment. "Well, you said they wanted to come visit you at work right? Why not today? You could ask them to hang out and I could come with you so that it's not as awkward and scary!"

"Oh would you really do that for me Y/N?!"

"Of course! I've got nothing better to do."

Peyton reached over the counter, almost snagging her pastel blue knit sweater on the stack of books I had set down, and gave me a big hug.

"You're so sweet!" After settling back into her chair, she grabbed her phone. "I'll let them know right now!"

She was eagerly texted the mystery person, smiling brightly as she did so.

I went back to reshelving books when only 10 minutes later I heard the front door chime.

"Freddy!"

"Hey Peyton!"

I came around the isle to see Peyton happily conversing with who I assumed was Freddy. They were just as Peyton had described. Tall, bubblegum pink hair, and really attractive.