The Vanishing Glass

It's been ten years since the dark lord was defeated. The small house on Privet drive seemed just as ordinary as it was before the Potters arrived. No one would ever have expected two more children lived there, hidden in the small cupboard under the stairs.

Yes, the small space was quite cramped for the two ten year olds. Their hope was when they turned eleven they would be too big for the cupboard, and their oaf of a cousin Dursley would have to give up his second bedroom.

The twins were asleep at the moment, but not for long. Their aunt Petunia's shrill voice was the first noise of the morning.

"Up! Get up! Now!"

The pair woke with a jolt. Their aunt continues to rap on the door.

"Up!" She screeched. (Y/N) rubbed her eyes as she sat up, trying to remember the dream she had been having; it was a good one, too. Her brother Harry sat up with a grunt, they could hear a frying pan being sat on the stove.
(Y/N) heard her aunt outside the door again.
"Are you up yet?" she demanded.

"Nearly," (y/n) replied.
"Well, get a move on, I want you to look after the bacon. And don't you dare let it burn, I want everything perfect in Duddy's birthday."

She groaned.
"What did you say?" Aunt Petunia snapped.
"Nothing- nothing..." the clicking of heals signaled she had left.

Dudley's birthday— how could she have forgotten? She climbed out of the cupboard and went down the hall into the kitchen. The table was burried beneath Dudley's birthday presents. Spoiled prat.

Uncle Vernon entered the kitchen as (Y/N) turned the bacon.
"Comb your hair!" He barked as a morning greeting.

She was frying eggs by the time Dudley arrived in the kitchen with his mother. Dudley looked a lot like a Uncle Vernon. He had a large pink face, not much neck, small, watery blue eyes, and thick blonde hair that lay smoothly like a baby angel— Harry often said that Dudley looked like a pig in a wig.

Speaking of the (lazy) devil, Harry slumped into the kitchen. "Good morning." He said politely to his sister. She replied a quick 'morning' before handing him Uncle Vernons coffee.

They had finally sat down to eat as Dudley began bellowing over how many presents he had. Spoiled. Prat. (Y/N) thought to herself again. They ate their food quickly as Dudley began to rip open packages.

"Bad news Vernon," Aunt petunia returned from the phone. "Mrs.Figg's broken her leg. She can't take them." She jerked her head in the direction of the twins.

Harry and (Y/N)'s hearts gave a leap. Every year on Dudley's birthday, his parents took him and a friend out for the day, to adventure parks, hamburger restaurants, or the movies. Every year, the two was left behind with Mrs. fig, a mad old lady who live two streets away. Harry and (Y/N) hated it there. The whole house smelled of cabbage and Mrs. being made them look at photographs of all the cats she'd ever owned.

"Now what?" Petunia questioned.

-

Half an hour later, (y/n), who couldn't believe her luck, was sitting in the back of the Dursleys' car with Piers, Dudley and Harry on the way to the zoo for the first time in her life. Her aunt and uncle hadn't been able to think of anything else to do with them, but before they'd left, Uncle Vernon bad taken Harry amd (Y/N) aside.

"I'm warning you— any funny business, anything at all—and you'll be in that cupboard from now until Christmas."

Funny Business. Odd things often happened around them and it was just no good telling the Dursleys they didn't make them happen.
Once, aunt Petunia had been trying to force
(y/n) into a revolting old sweater of Dudley's. The harder she tried to force it over her head, the smaller it seemed to become, until finally it might have fitted a hand puppet, but certainly would not fit (y/n). Thankfully she hadn't gotten punished.

But today, nothing was going to go wrong.

(Y/N) Had the best morning she'd had in a long time. She was careful to walk a little ways apart from the Dursley's so that Dudley and peers, who are starting to get bored with the animals by lunchtime, will it fall back on their favorite hobby of hitting hairy. They eat in the zoo restaurant, and when deadly had a tantrum because his Knickerbocker glory didn't have enough ice cream on top, uncle Vernon bought him another one, then Harry and (Y/N) were allowed to finish the first.

She should have known, it wouldn't last long.

After lunch they had made their way to the reptile house and found the biggest snake, Dudley was unsatisfied to see it was sleeping.

"Make it move." Dudley whines. Uncle Vernon tapped on the glass, but the snake didn't budge.

"Do it again," Dudley ordered. Uncle Vernon talked the glass with his knuckles, but the snake just snoozed on. "This is boring." Dudley moaned as he shuffled away. (Y/N) and Harry moves in front of the tank and looked intently at the snake.

"Maybe it died of boredom, No company except stupid people drumming their fingers on the glass trying to disturb it all day long." She said.

The snake suddenly opened its beady eyes. Slowly, it raised its head until its eyes were level with the twins'.

It winked.

(Y/N) gaped and Harry stared. She looked quickly around to see if anyone was watching. They weren't. She turned back to the snake, and winked back. Harry chuckled and winked as well.

The snake jerked its head toward Uncle Vernon and Dudley, then raised its eyes to the ceiling. It gave them a look that said:
"I get that all the time"

"I know," Harry murmured. "It must be really annoying." The snake nodded vigorously.
"Where do you come from, anyway?" (Y/N) asked.

The snake jabbed it's tail at a little sign next to the glass. Harry read it out loud.
"Boa Constrictor, Brazil. Was it nice there?"
The boa constrictor jabbed it's tail at the sign again and Harry read in: "this specimen was bred in the zoo."

"Oh I see—" (y/n) chimed. "So you've never been to Brazil?" As the snake shook its head, a defeating shout behind them made them both jump.

"MUMMY! COME LOOK! YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT THE SNAKE IS DOING!" Dudley bellowed.
"Out of the way, you." He scowled, shoving Harry and (y/n) to the ground. (Y/N) glared at him.

What happened next happened so fast no one saw what happened— one minute Dudley and Pier were leaning in the glass, and the next they had leapt backwards with bowls of horror.
(Y/N) sat up and gasped; the glass front of the boa constrictors tank had vanished.The great snake wasn't boiling it self rapidly, slithering out onto the floor. People throughout the rental house screamed and started running for the exits.

As the snake slid swiftly past them, they could've sworn a law hissing voice said, "Brazil, here I come.... thankssss, amigos."

The twins chuckled to themselves, before their faces dropped in horror; as uncle Vernons purple face sneered down at them.