Eight

"I must say, after how you rebuffed me last time, I was not expecting to hear from you this soon."

"Save the pleasantries," Yusha says coolly, with a single perfunctory flick of his right hand, as he plants himself on the couch.

Quelled, Rayman settles down on one of the two ottomans across Yusha and waits for the forthcoming reason behind why he has been called here. However, no hint of such elucidation seems apparent as the CEO of Aiden Tech stares him down with his steely eyes, his expression so unrelenting as though suspended in time.

As the silence grows disconcertingly prickly, Rayman clears his throat. "Are you going to explain why you cal-"

"Are you sure you're not the one who should be doing the explaining?"

"Sorry?"

Yusha's lips curve into a wry smile. "Something about certain photos, in a certain envelope, in the hands of certain people? Rings a bell?"

Evidently taken aback, Rayman succumbs to speechlessness. Under Yusha's steady scrutiny, he runs his clammy hands to and fro on the soft material of his khaki trouser— a sure sign of nervousness.

"Well?" Yusha prods.

Rayman braces himself, sitting up straighter. "I... I'm sorry I didn't consult you regarding my plan. I doubted you would have conceded to it, or even spare the time to hear me out, after... after how things went last time."

"And what exactly were you trying to achieve?"

Despite being the older and physically bigger of the two, Rayman couldn't help but feel somewhat intimidated by Yusha. Nevertheless, he decides to brave out the question.

"I wanted to test my theory." He begins. "Recently, I learned that the youngest Ayat sibling has been kept in the dark regarding Wissam. From what I've been told, the boy thinks his sister is the only sibling he has and ever had. Admitting Wissam's disappearance is a tragedy, I wondered if that's the only reason his family hasn't told him. Like I mentioned before once, I've spotted Wissam and Yamira together a few times. Those pictures and the article within an envelope with your company's name on it will only pose as a threat to them if they have something to hide. I want to see their reaction.

"You have nothing to worry about." He adds, hastily. "In case they go to the police, just deny the charge. It's not like they'll have any strong evidence to hold against you. It'll be chalked up as someone's idea of a joke."

"So, you thought it was okay to just borrow my company's name as you please?" Yusha asks menacingly, making Rayman blanch. "What makes you so confident that I wont tell the police whose idea it was? Or the Ayats?"

Rayman opens his mouth and closes it.

"In our last meeting, it seemed you wanted- or should I say- felt impelled, to uncover the truth because Wissam was your best friend. Apparently, I misunderstood, seeing how you don't have any qualms in implying that your former best friend could be the perp behind my sister's death." Casually, Yusha props his chin in the palm of his left hand, his eyes still zeroed in on Rayman. "Be honest, why are you even digging a case that ended years ago? What's in it for you? You'd best fess up if you know what's good for you."

Rayman gulps subtly, picking at a hangnail in the thumb of his right hand and deliberating his answer.

"Actually..."

__

Maha

I slot down on the sit next to Tan barely a minute before the professor strides in and takes her position on the dais, her spectacles resting on her head and her signature no-nonsense look on her face.