ii. never let go.

II. say you won't let go - james arthur

 say you won't let go - james arthur

The doors of the school swing open. Fresh air swarmed towards Peter. The nervous sweat he had was starting to calm down. His throat burned with the salty tears but was soon relieved by the coolness of the air. Peter stood there for a second, not moving, not crying. He closed his eyes gently and breathed in slowly, his lips pursed together lightly as he did so. "This is all a bad dream. A bad dream. A bad dre-"

The doors had now opened again; slowly, cautiously, not to intimidate Peter. Ned's firm hands reached up to Peter's shoulders, gently massaging them. After he had gotten his breath back he simply said "oh Peter". Ned's hands seemed to turn Peter's body into jelly. His legs folded as he fell to the ground, adrenaline rushing to his head. The photos dropped to the ground, still visible to Peter.

Ned proceeded to call for help as Peter faded in and out of dark waves. He didn't want to blackout completely, he wouldn't be able to see the photos. The only mobile part of Peter's body was his hand as he reached out towards Morgan, clasping the air. It was no use. Peter closed his eyes, letting the last tears escape down his cheeks.

•••

Peter woke up in his bed, still wearing his shoes and his backpack but he was tucked in. His eyelids fluttered and he squinted with the sunlight seeping through the curtains in his room. Then, in some sort of frenzy, Peter desperately panicked. "What if I was dreaming? Is Mr Stark not dead?" He gasped under his breath.

In the distance, his phone shone like a beacon, enticing Peter. One glance was enough, he had already pounced on the device, hope filling his eyes. The young boy's hands were eighteen-years-old yet they had the appearance of a one hundred year old life. Lines had marked the palms deeply with stress, while the skin was rough from tears and carelessness. They reached towards the phone, frantically scrolling through the contacts. It didn't take him long to find the letter D.

Dad.

The contact photo was saved as him and Tony, snuggled up on the sofa fast asleep in each others arms. In a way, they were both protecting eachother. Tony protecting Peter from the loneliness, Peter protecting Tony from the world. Peter's eyes lingered over the image for a while, reminiscing on that day. He hoped it was just a dream. He hoped he'd get to protect Tony again.

After snapping out of the flashback, Peter pressed the call button with shaking hands. Three beeps. Still no answer. Five beeps, Peter is teetering on his feet, swaying with anxiety. Then, "Peter?" But he couldn't reply. His voice wouldn't escape his cracked lips. His tonsils knotted like rope and all he could let out was a whispered "hello?"

"Pete darling, it's Pepper. Tony. Tony's not here remember? You've called Tony's phone. Tony's gone."

His phone clattered to the ground. He was so hopeful. So hopeful that it was all a dream. The tears visited his face again as they crawled down his cheeks, each one moistening his dry throat. Alongside this, large footsteps heaved up the stairs outside Peter's room and busted through the door. Ned.

"Peter. Oh Peter. I didn't know you were awake. You fainted and I bought you home but I haven't told May or anyone. Damn I should've told them."

Peter reached up to his hair again, an anxious habit of his. The fluffy brown locks twisted around his fingers as his cries turned into sniffles. "I need to go to Pepper and find Morgan. She's what I need right now." Peter started in a croaked voice. However, he was swiftly interrupted by the echoing ring of the doorbell.

"Peter Parker Stark get your butt out here right now!" Followed the doorbell ring. Ned and Peter exchanged confused looks. Neither knew the voice at first, it was squeaky and female. In addition, nobody called Peter by Tony's surname. Peter had only dreamt of Tony allowing him to change his surname. Of Tony adopting him with May's permission.

Peter raced down the stairs, intrigued by the strangely toned voice coming from the opposite side of the door. Without hesitation, he swung it open. He wasn't scared, he was Spider-Man after all. He looked up and was greeted by the blue, cloudless sky until his checkered trousers were being pulled gently by the cuffs. Slowly panning his vision down, he was met with a small figure with short brown hair.

Morgan.

Immediately he pulled her close and embraced her into a loving hug. Her small arms reached around Peter's neck and he launched her completely into his arms, holding her like a baby. "Mummy said that you called Daddy's phone again and I was worried so I came here." Peter beamed down at her with droplets in his eyes again. "What a clever girl my sister is." He kissed her lightly, his lips skimming her innocent forehead. "You know what? I'm never going to let you go"