iii. goodnight.

𝐈𝐈𝐈.  asleep - the smiths

Peter clasped Morgan's hand tightly without hurting her

Peter clasped Morgan's hand tightly without hurting her. They walked like this, hand in hand, across the staircase and into Peter's room. The broken phone was still laying on the floor, smashed with Tony's face still plastered across the screen. He tried to hide the phone before Morgan scooped it up. "Daddy would be proud of you." She said, reminiscing. At that, Peter ruffled up Morgan's hair and gestured to the bed.

Morgan's small stature meant that her legs dangled off of the bed, not quite touching the floor. For a young girl, her posture was mature. "Pete, I have to tell you something" she spluttered as she fiddled with her thumbs. Peter instantly picked up on the anxiety and gave her hand a squeeze. "What's up spiderling?" he asked. Morgan had insisted that her older brother call her baby spider of which he obliged. Morgan took a deep breath inwards and began to explain.

"I've been having bad dreams. Ever since Daddy left. But not about Daddy. Sometimes they make me cry." She exhaled. Tears started to form in the corners of her eyes thinking about the sleepless nights. "Is it a monster? That's scaring you, I mean." Peter said in turn. Morgan nodded a definitive 'no' as she described her fears. "It's a man. Like the type of baddies you and Daddy fought. He just repeats the words you're next Morgan Stark."

At that moment, Peter pulled Morgan into an embrace. "For as long as I live, no bad people will ever harm you. I promise" On cue, Morgan retrieved her pinky finger and interlocked it with Peter's. He had made a promise after all. Morgan then flew into the air gracefully as Peter stood up with her resting in his arms. "We're going to get rid of these bad dreams, okay?" He fumbled under his bed and revealed an empty jar and several colourful markers. In large bold letters Peter began to write on the outside of the jar. "BAD DREAM JAR" was emblazoned upon it once he had finished.

"In this jar, we will trap away all the bad dreams you're having." Morgan smiled at this and a wave of excitement crossed her face. "Okay but I'm doing the arts and crafts because you're no where near being Picasso" she giggled and winked. Peter replied with a dramatic gasp and pretended to be hurt by the comment. Within minutes, pens, paper and stickers were sprawled all over the carpet like stars in the night sky. Pieces of paper adorned with notes on previous dreams were stuffed into the jar.

Once finished, Peter made his way to the bathroom with Morgan trailing along behind him. "Now, the last part. We're going to fill the jar with water to drown out all of the bad things, okay?" Morgan clasped the jar and turned the tap on. Water came gushing out as she quickly held the open jar beneath it. Peter carefully replaced the lid and gave the jar back to his sister. Hastily, Morgan closed her eyes tight. She said in a clear and demanding voice to the jar "you won't hurt me anymore"

Peter watched this over the little girl's shoulder with tears in his eyes. Helping Morgan was what made him still feel alive. Just as Tony helping him kept Tony alive. For a time. Peter had begun to daydream at the thought of Tony again but was awoken by a small yawn from Morgan. "You must be tired after walking all the way here then decorating this for hours. Let's have a nap"

Morgan snuggled into Peter's duvets as he dashed downstairs to retrieve a warm glass of milk. A warm glass of milk for a warm hearted girl.

Now he stood at the doorframe of his room, silhouetted against the rays of sunlight draping through the windows. The sight of Morgan cuddling his blankets made his heart beat with love. She was already fast asleep, her eyelashes occasionally battering her supple cheekbones. Peter made his way to the bed and tucked her in properly. A strong hand delicately moved her fringe behind her ear and a soft kiss was planted on top of her forehead. Feeling this gesture, Morgan whispered something. "Daddy used to do that and I always said I love you 3000"

"Pete. I love you 3000."

With that she closed her eyes and went back to sleep. Peter kept himself together but inevitably felt the heaviness on his heart.

"No more bad dreams for my little spiderling."

Goodnight.