22

Word count

💠

It's tearing me apart

She's slipping away

Am I just hanging on to all the words she used to say?

The pictures on her phone

She's not coming home.

💠

Reece.

Kyle! She kissed Kyle or Kyle kissed her. It doesn't really matter. Was it really an accident or did she do it deliberately? So many unanswered questions. So I did what every lovesick boy would do, I punched him. Why you laying your hands on my girl, you dick?

I drove back home and perfect timing, 'I Know What you did Last Summer' started playing. I used to love this song, now it's ruined. We were supposed to meet my parents in two days, now what? When I got home, my dad was passed out on the couch. It's always like this, he says he will stop, but never put it into action. He was doing really good actually, until now. He reeked of Vodka. I removed the bottle from his grip and put a tall glass of water on the table in front of him. He's going to need it, as he drank two bottles of alcohol. Great dad! I threw a thin blanket over him, despite the freezing cold. He needed some punishment. I'm not even to think of him.

I walk to my room. There's only one picture hanging from the walls, Janine and I on Jay's birthday. My arm was around her waist while she kissed my cheek. I smiled, but it vanished as soon as it appeared. I removed my clothes from my body and put on my night clothes. It was really cold. As I put off my lamp, something hit my window. Probably the wind, I thought to myself. There's it was again and again. I put my lamp back on and walked over. It was dark, so I flashed my flash. There was a tall figure outside my window. The light sensors switched on and the person was blinded. They covered their eyes, but opened them again, and looked up at me. It was Janine.

Is she insane! Why would she be here, and so late? She was wearing shorts and a hoodie. Yes, she is that insane!  "Yes?" I asked arrogantly. "I'm sorry." Then there was a silence. "I don't expect you to forgive me, but I at least thought I'd explain it to you." Just as I was about to close my window, she pleaded, "Please don't." There was pain in her voice. I was shutting her out. Did she deserve it? I didn't t know.

"It was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened and I'm sorry it did. I could've told him off but I didn't. I know you're a huge fan of loyalty, but life doesn't work in everyone's favour. It was just a kiss. And if it counts, I didn't kiss him back." She said that before walking away. My blood boiled. I wasn't mad at her, but mad that I wasn't there to stop it. I don't even know anymore.

Wait, she didn't kiss him back? Her words finally sunk into my brain. She never mentioned that. I guess it's because the moment she told me, I stormed out of the house. Man, I feel like an asshole. My anger died and was replaced by guilt. I looked out the window again, but she was gone but I still saw the image of her standing there. I sighed and walked back to my bed. I turned the light off for the second time, and covered myself in thick covers.

I dreamt that I was drowning in water. Then I realized that it wasn't water. It was alcohol. Then my body was pulled down as I struggled for air. I couldn't touch the bottom with my feet. I tried breathing, but I just stopped moving. There was a light, then there was sirens, the sirens were beautiful. They swam closer as the air vanished from my lungs. Just as I closed my eyes, the scene changed. I gasped for air and looked around me puzzled. I was in a hospital room, standing in the corner. In the bed, was a woman that seemed to be in her late 30's. She was hooked up to machines and there was pipes going inside her, indicating that she couldn't breathe on her own. Her heartbeat seemed slower than it should be.