Chapter 1: One Quiet Night

One quiet night, as the clock struck eleven, the village of Emerald Springs went to sleep. All was silent. Meanwhile, as their roommates fell asleep, hundreds of small animals woke up. They were hamsters of every color, shape and size, and they had all gotten their extra hour of sleep for the 14'th and last day of the hamster week. They trundled out of their hand-pulled cotton dens, or their little wood shaving beds, and waited restlessly. They groomed themselves, ate, drank, and exercised, waiting for the event to start. Their whiskers tingled, their bodies felt light, and disappeared right at the start of the day of Not( Not is short for the trip to Notopia). 

         Notopia is the Dreamland of hamsters. It is where they mingle and play, where they pass laws and hold meetings. It is where hamsters can do things they cannot do in real life. It is run by a cream-colored hamster named Alex. Alex was the one who determined the exact moment at night when the hamsters would step into the invisible portals that led into Notopia, regulated the meetings that were held there and made sure all the hamsters there were happy. 

       All the hamsters arrived in the Jawovavio Square. They turned towards the mountain-like fountain in the center of the enormous, grassy area and waited. Among them was a small hamster named Chip. He saw the fountain, with its layers and layers of waterfalls and pHearl-covered statues, and on the top of the stone mountain where there was a platform made of gold, he saw Alex. "Hello, temporary citizens of Notopia! I hope you enjoyed your last visit. This time, though, we are testing something new: Hot Melted Chocolate! As you know, any food is safe for us hamsters here on Notopia." He announced, pausing for a moment to let the hamsters' tiny cheers to fade. " And now, the moment you've all been waiting for..." he boomed. "THE HAMSTER OF THE WEEK IS CHIP-"Chip gasped. Could it really be him? This had been his dream for years. "-AME!" Chip sighed. "Oh well, there's still next time", he muttered as crowds of hamsters surged around the delighted Chipame. Seeing his best friend, Cheeto, who used to live in Petco with him, he brightened up and walked over. 

              "Cheeto!" He exclaimed.  "How nice to see you again!" Cheeto turned around, grinning.                          "Hi Chip! How's your roommate?"  He said. Chip said hesitatingly,

"Oh....well...er....um....he.....uh......he......" Cheeto tapped his paw impatiently. 

"HE WENT ON A DIET!" Chip burst out. Cheeto gasped, as well as some of his friends. In the hamster world, it is ridiculous to go on a diet, for hamsters are all very chubby no matter how hard they exercise, and consider it rude to try to prevent it. I know, I don't understand it either. I'm just the narrator, ok? 

Chip and Cheeto walked down a small street surrounded by shops and markets. Notopia is shaped like a large square, with Jawovavio Square in the very center, with four large streets bordering it, four streets of shops behind those, and various recreations after that. The shops in Notopia sell everything for $0.00, so hamsters like them a lot. The one that Chip and Cheeto were going to was a soup store, with every possible kind of soup in it. Hamsters seem to live for 3 years at most, but they really just retire to Notopia until they feel like going back to Earth again. Notopia floats in space, and it was made when stardust mixed with moon dust to create magic, which in turn formed Notopia. So, Chip and Cheeto had been going to Notopia for decades, and knew the place very well. As they stepped up to the counter, Chip said:

"I would like tomato soup, with a feeling side of Birthday Party and a touch of See All Pink for 30 seconds salt." After he ordered his, Cheeto ordered vegetable-onion soup with hope on top. The left with their soup, said goodbye to the hamster that ran the store, and went to Cotton Candy Park. As they walked past a candy store, they bumped into the hamsters that came out of it. 

"Oh! Hi Angel, Jeffrey and Katie(pronounced CAT-y). Where are you guys going?" Cheeto said.

"Hello. We're going to cotton candy park", Katie replied. "Want to come?"

"Actually, we're already going there!" Laughed Chip. 

"Wait...don't you guys need cc shoes or something?" Angel frowned.  Cc shoes are used to walk on cotton candy without sinking, hence the name cotton candy shoes.

"Oops! Thanks for reminding me", Chip said. "They're in the candy shop, right?"

"Uh-huh!" Said Jeffery. "By the way, the new Hot Melted Chocolate is next to the counter."

"Ok, thanks!" Cheeto said. They waddled up to the store, laughing and chatting, waiting for the sweet aroma of candy to wash up on them.

"Ahhhhhh...." they sighed, as the smell of gingerbread cookies filled the air. The walls and floor of the shop had been covered with gingerbread and giant candy and peppermints because Christmas was near.

"Oooo, it looks just like the Hansel and Gretel thingy that my roommate reads to me!" Katie breathed, causing the others to laugh.

"Your roommate reads to you? Wow, that's one intelligent human!" Joked Cheeto. They walked up to the counter, and started to order.

"Two pairs of cc shoes for Cheeto and I and a cup of Hot Melted Chocolate, please!" Chip said.

"And four chocolate covered peppermint ice creams for the rest of us, please!"  Katie said.

"Coming right up!" The shop owner said, smiling at them. His name was Joe, and he was a very cheerful person. He gave them what they ordered, along with a fortune cookie, and then after thanking him they left. 

"Hey, Cheeto...." Angel said. "What's our fortune?"

"Um..." Cheeto mumbled. "The answer you will search for is not what you imagine it to be?"

".... that's not very poetic", Angel said.