Chapter 2

⚠️ Trigger Warning ⚠️

~~

Days past since Skye got the visit and one thing had changed. Skye's matron was being crueler than ever before and some days, Skye just laid on her bed, questioning her existence. Day in, day out, it was beating after beating, panic attack after panic attack. The small, fragile girl walked into her room and picked up the letter she was given days ago. "What a load of rubbish. A fantasy to make me feel better." Skye muttered.

"Say that again?" An unfamiliar voice said. The girl moved the letter to see a man standing there. "You're not that person who came to see me last time. Who are you?" Skye asked coldly. "Oh- how rude of me. I'm Professor Dunley, and you must be Skye Tonks." He said calmly. Skye immediately liked this professor. "Um yeah... I'm Skye Tonks. How did you know that?" She asked. "Professor Dawny." He answered. "So. That letter is a load of rubbish is it? A fantasy made up to make you feel better?" He quoted. "Truth to be told. It's not a load of rubbish." He said, walking in and sitting on the bed. At this movement, Skye immediately moved away. "Hey. I'm not going to hurt you." He said, moving closer to her. "I'm going to get you out here because until the first of September, you'll live in the Leaky Cauldron." Professor Dunley said, looking at the girl. "The... Leaky Cauldron?" She asked, confused. "Yes. The Leaky Cauldron. Why don't I show you?" The male asked, standing up. Skye just shook her head. "I- I'm not allowed outside. I- I get beat if I go out." She said, wiping a tear away. "Hey. It will be alright. I'll make sure no one hurts you." Dunley said. "Come on." He said, guiding Skye out of the orphanage.

~~

"Where are you going?" Asked the matron angrily. "I-I'm going outside- to just have a look. I've never been out there. Ever since I came here." Skye replied as calmly as possibly. "No you bloody well aren't." The matron screamed before pushing Skye onto the stairs. She then pulled out Skye's biggest fear. A belt. Slaps against the skin echoed throughout the house and the screams of the innocent child were drowned out. Blood trickled down her back as she struggled to stand up. "Now. You stay inside. You got it?" The matron smiled wickedly. "Y-y-yes." The frightened girl replied before dragging herself up the stairs, the slaps and cries continuing.

~~

"Skye. Wake up." Dunley said, tapping the girl. "Aguamenti." He muttered, pointing his wand at her face. A splash of water hit the girl's face as she sat up. "I-Professor Dunley." She said, quietly. "Thanks for waking me up." She said before looking away. "I don't think I can sleep again. The orphanage haunts me. I hated it." She said honestly, not noticing Professor Dawny at the door. "One time. I tried to go outside and the matron..." Skye fell silent, tears rolling down her face. "Hey. Skye. You can tell us." Professor Dawny said. "Wait. Why are you two here anyway?" She asked, her voice shaking. "We've been told to look after you." Dunley said. Skye sighed. "Ok. The matron beat me... with a belt and I dreamed about that last night. It was scary. Really scary." The girl said. Dunley and Belial exchanged looks. "Well. You're safe now. There are people here, as well as Diagon Alley who will look after you." Belial told her. "Do- Do I ever need to go back there?" She asked, sounding worried and scared. "I... We don't know Skye." Belial said honestly. "I really don't know." He said sounding heart broken. "I don't want to go back." She cried. "I really don't." Dunley just sighed. "We have to go but we will see you soon. I promise." He said before getting up and leaving the room, Belial following.

"How could anyone do that to her?" Belial asked, once the door closed. "I don't know. She seems like the sweetest girl, yet she's so broken." Dunley replied. "I feel so bad for letting this happen. If her family was alive, she would be happy." He said before disapparating. Belial sighed, looked at the door and disapparated.

~~

The next few days, Skye wondered down Diagon Alley, looking in all the shops and buying everything she needed with the money that was given to her. The day before she had to go to Hogwarts, she bumped into someone in Flourish and Blotts. "Oh- S-sorry." Skye said to the girl. "You will be." The blonde haired girl replied before looking at the girl. "Oh. You look so weak. It's pathetic. I bet you can't even stand up for yourself." The girl sneered. "Ashton!" Someone shouted from afar. The blonde haired girl looked at Skye before wondering off. Skye took a deep breath before running back to her room and collapsing into tears.

~~

Chapter 2! It's shit but oh well. I'm sorry if this triggered anything! Just remember that everything mentioned in this book, apart from Skye, either belongs to J.K. Rowling or HWSA members ♥️