Chapter Fourteen Saint

"Hey, man" I grin as I greet my best friend and partner Lucas at the front door.

He smiles sadly and I know there's something wrong. "Hey" he greets me as I open the door wider for him to come in.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"I got a call through off Colton's birth momma's probation officer before—" he grimaces.

Colton's mom, sylvia was served seven years in prison for possession of illegal drugs and child neglect, after she signed away her rights of Colton she showed no remorse what so ever, though when she went through therapy, her therapist said that she mentioned him a few times to them when they were in session. I didn't know what to make of that, when they told me, Sylvia didn't ask of him, how he was or anything, it was more of what happened before prison. She was let out of prison for good behavior three years ago and was doing okay—that was, up to now.

"What's happened?" I ask my partner, though I think I know where this is going.

"Sylvia was found dead in her apartment" he grimaces. "Suspected drug overdose"

"Fuck" I hiss. "Are they certain it was drug overdose?" I ask him cupping the back of my neck.

He nods sadly. "She was found with a needle in her arm, man"

"Jesus, fucking Christ" I bellow. "Why in the fuck didn't she stay away? She was doing good, wasn't she?" I growl.

Lucas shrugs. "All I know is that her probation officer said she'd missed a few check in's—claimed she was sick" he tells me.

The fuck?!

He must see my angry expression and what I'm about to say because he holds his hand up. "I know, I know—but he said she's been clean when she got out of prison, she completed the drug cleanse and everything, I don't know what to tell ya, man" he says sadly.

"What's goin on, Michael?" My beautiful fiancée asks me. "Hey, lucas" she says happily as she sees who is at the door.

"Hey, pretty lady" Lucas croons. "When are you gonna wise up and leave this ass for me?" he teases taking my woman in his arms and hugging her close.

"Fuck off" I growl pulling her back to me making Lucas chuckle.

"You're too easy" he chuckles.

"To what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?" Kathy asks him. "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

Lucas's stomach grumbles making my woman laugh. "I would, but I gotta get back to the station—thanks though, beautiful" he says with a wink. "I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" he asks me. "I'll let you know if I find anything else out" he says before leaving the house.

"See you tomorrow" I say after him, he waves in response and I sigh heavily. "Fuck" I mutter.

"Michael?" Kathy asks me worriedly. "What's wrong?"

I sigh heavily once more for what I'm about to tell her. "Sylvia—Colton's birth mom was found dead" I tell her sadly.

She cups her mouth with her hand as she gasps with tears in her eyes. "Oh, no" she says sadly. "How—" she asks me.

"Suspected drug overdose" I sigh sadly. "She was found with a needle in her arm" I tell her.

"God, bless her soul" she sobs as she walks back into the living room and sits down on the couch. "Oh, my god—Colton" she gasps.

"I know, precious" I coo hugging her closely. "We'll have to tell him, he'll need to come and say his goodbyes, get his closure" I tell her as she looks at me with understanding in her eyes.