three

chapter three:
fun to use, but dangerous to abuse

"this house is where the brat lived." the man informed as he made his way to the door, looking around the living room. jungkook rolled his tongue along the inside of his cheek, holding back everything he wanted to say to the man for calling his dead son a brat. "i left a spiritual mark." he informed. "place is chock full of energy of it's former self. inside here, the doll is a vessel to channel that energy."

with jungkook following close behind, arms folded across his chest, minjae nodded and listened very carefully to every word the man said, even though she had no clue as to what he was talking about.

"but outside..." he trailed off, opening the front door for the young girl. holding her baby close to her, minjae slowly took a step out the door only to realize that it had gone back to being a doll. "outside it's just a doll." he shrugged as minjae quickly ran back into the house and into the living room and out of sight, holding onto her child as if she'd lose him again.

jungkook held the bridge of his nose, letting out a loud sigh. "why do i feel like the instruction manual comes with a long list of warnings?"

"just one." the middle aged man shrugged.

jungkook raised a brow as the man held out an sand clock in front of him. "do not spend longer than one turn of the hourglass with him." he said in a hypnotising voice. "ever." he warned. "once time is up, he must go back in the box for a whole day before you can take him out again."

thoughts circled jungkook's mind. thoughts about minjae that he couldn't explain. he couldn't afford to lose her. not now. not at a time like this. he needed her too much in these crucial moments of life. he didn't know what he would do without her. "what happens.. if i go over time?" jungkook's voice was low.

"my product's like a drug, buddy." the older man spoke. "fun to use, but dangerous to abuse." he narrowed his eyes at the younger male. "ignore this rule, and you'll start losing it. really losing it. you'll believe a lie." his voice echoed in jungkook's head. "you'll believe that the doll is the real thing. you won't even have to touch it anymore after a while for the illusion to work. you'll forget about accident, cancer, or whatever the hell happened to the brat. you'll even forget about hiring me."

the young male could no longer process his words. it was too much to take in. the thought of losing himself, his sanity, to a stupid doll was terrifying. no, it was beyond terrifying. in fact, calling it terrifying could even be the understatement of the year for all he knew.

"your mind will bury what needs to be buried and fill in the blanks that need to be filled to keep the lie alive." as the elder male spoke, his mind was racing with even more thoughts than before. thoughts he didn't want to have. "but of course if any of that happens, it's not my responsibility. because you have been warned."