six

chapter six:
her euphoria, his euphoria

"she was losing it and i didn't know what to do." the young male remembered his own helpless state as he spoke to the man almost a week and a half ago.

"so i hid the doll and she just couldn't take it." his voice was shaking, still in denial of the fact that minjae was really gone. "she slit her wrists." he blinked multiple times, holding in his tears for the moment.

the memories began flooding his mind again. it all made sense now as to why his memory had been so fuzzy over the past week and a half. he remembered it all as if it had happened yesterday. and one thing he had wished he had acknowledged earlier, was the fact that the doll was the cause of her euphoria. she didn't need jungkook anymore. or at least it didn't seem like she did in his eyes. but one thing he wished minjae had acknowledged was that she was the only cause of his euphoria.

"that wouldn't be my responsibility, buddy." the older male reminded.

"i just want her back." jungkook's voice cracked a bit as his eyes were practically stinging at this point. "i need her back."

but here he was, in the present with his wife—the doll that was supposedly his wife, collapsed onto the floor with the puppet that was claimed to be their son.

"i'll need a set of clothes she wore at least once, do not wash them." he remembered the old man's voice echoing in his head as he stared at minjae's doll wearing the red dress.

her red dress.

"i'll also need a lock of hair." the man croaked. "and a valuable possession of hers." jungkook remembered giving the man the doll that was supposed to be their son, using it as her valuable possession.

he wasn't going to mess up this time. at this point he understood that jaehun was her happiness and she was jungkook's.

but he had already messed up. he took her outside. he had forgotten. forgotten that she was just a doll. a doll who's most valuable possession was jaehun.

"so it works for adults too?" he questioned with hope, receiving an answer that was oddly familiar.

"nobody ever asked for their money back."

the memory was too much for jungkook to bear at the time as he was still on his knees in front of the two dolls that were still on the floor at the back of his house.

with trembling hands, he picked up the doll before pulling it close to his chest, hugging it for dear life. 

getting back on his feet with the doll in his arms, jungkook stumbled back into the house hugging his wife who was back in her original state. "i'm so sorry," he caressed her hair. "i'm so sorry, i'll never do that again." he was relieved to be back with the love of his life. even though it might have only been a doll, to him it was his soulmate—his partner.

it was his real wife.