- 𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓇𝓎 2 -

𝒮𝑜. 𝐼 𝑔𝓊𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝓎𝑜𝓊 didn't get too bored or upset, my dear imaginary reader. 

Maybe you just want to know who Mike is.

Well, I think it'll be easiest to start with the day we first met, and we'll see how we go from there. No escape now, huh? Okay. Here we go.

                                                                                       ✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

"You're not reading it again, are you?" I hear from above me. I look up to see my favorite nurse in the whole entire world, Nicole. 

"Good morning, Nicole," I smile. My voice is shaky because I'm wearing my Afflo vest, which is basically a vest you wear to get the mucus out. It shakes and it's not very comfortable, so usually when I do it I do my favorite thing in the world: reading Harry Potter.

"How many times have you read it now?" Nicole says with a grin as she switches out the meds on my cart. 
"umm... this specific one 42 times." I keep count. 

It's my favorite book of the series: Harry potter and the goblet of fire. I read a chapter every time I use my vest. It's kind of a tradition, and the 40 minutes I have to wear it are exactly enough time for a chapter or two.

"You're crazy. How are we feeling this morning?" She helps me remove the vest and then starts checking my vitals, same as usual.

"Fine," I say just as I'm overcome with a series of monster coughs. 
"I can see that," Nicole says with a skeptical eyebrow raise, and I blush. I fake another series, making dramatic choking signs. She tries not to, but I see her stiff mouth softening into a small smile.

"One day you'll choke for real,and no one will know." She says sternly, even though I see the glitter in her eyes.

"Wow, am I that good of an actor?" I grin at her, bowing my head.
"Of course! hand please," she says and I stretch out my hand so she can take my blood.

"How is Samantha?"I ask. Samantha is Nicole's 5 year old daughter. I met her twice and she's the cutest chubbiest baby ever. I see Nicole smile even wider.

"Doing great. She just learned how to spell her name!" She's practically beaming with pride as she takes the needle out and cleans the small puncture wound.

"Wow. When do I get to see her again?" I ask.
"Get better, then we'll talk." Nicole says, winking at me.

"Your mom coming today?" she asks me, and I nod enthusiastically. I haven't seen my mom in three days.
"Tell her to stop by, I want to say hi. I'll see you later!" She says as she grabs her trolley, then she's out and it's time to actually start my day.

I put the Harry Potter aside and get dressed,and by dressed I mean a new pair of sweatpants and a clean T-shirt.

 I calm my hair, grab the book I'm currently reading, and after putting my breathing tube in it's time to head outside.

I sit in my favorite lounge of the hospital wing, that's just a bit less crowded than the other two. Today it's completely empty, which is great because I really want to read a bit more.
I get comfortable on the large blue sofa, and start reading again, already completely transported into the magical realm of Narnia. 

That is, until I see the door of room 54 is partly open, and voices are coming from inside.

Room 54 is kind of a big deal. Ask any long- term patient in ForrestView if they've seen someone staying there. I promise the answer will be no.

I don't know why, but no patient we know of has ever stayed in room 54. It's a nice room, with views of the woods, the woods that used to be mine, and a little more space than the rest of the rooms. Rumor has it there's a television above the bathtub.

 It's just a generally nice room. We call it "The Suite".

Throughout the years, many patients have tried to transfer there- it's like a power move. But no one has ever managed. It had been kept empty and squeaky clean for years, until now.

I know I shouldn't, but still I move to the chair closest to the door, and I manage to hear the conversation.

"... And as you know, this is one of the first trials for Cevaflomalin. No results can be guaranteed, but in order to-" I can't see the woman speaking, but I see she's talking to a middle aged woman with blonde hair sitting in a chair and a boy with black curls that I can only see half of.

"Mike, the doctor is talking to you!" the woman in the chair says, and puts her arm on the boy's shoulder. He shakes it off.

"Umm, as I was saying in order to achieve the best results possible you have to keep up with your treatments flawlessly. Can you do that?" The doctor (I'm pretty sure it's Doctor Green, her voice sounds familiar) asks again, and the blonde woman turns her head towards the boy, Mike, expectantly. 

"Why? stuff myself with pills so I can die in a year instead of a month? I'm terminal. You can't save me. Give me a fucking break." Mike says, and I see the blonde woman gasp in shock and anger. I also gasp a little. I can't believe he would say something like that- and to people who are doing nothing but being nice to him, trying to save his life!

"Michael! I'm sorry, doctor. He'll be good, he's just having a bad day, he'll keep up with everything. Won't you, Mike?" Her voice is so passive aggressive it's almost funny. 

"I certainly hope so. And Mike, you'll never know if you don't try. Welcome to ForrestView hospital. Karen, if you come with me we'll just sort out the payment." The Doctor says, and the woman in the chair gets up as they both leave the room (I was right, It was Doctor Green) . 

I turn to my book just in time to avoid being caught.

After I'm sure they left, I turn back around to look at The Suite once again- but to my horror the curly-haired boy is staring right at me. Wow, he's handsome. Like, rock-star cute. His cheekbones are so high and his eyes so brown...
I feel myself turn completely red. i can't believe he caught me snooping.

But he just smiles, and closes the door in front of him. 

I'm back alone in Narnia, but I can't really manage to focus on whatever Lucy is saying to Mr. Tumnus now. 

"Guess who's off the market?" It's Max, basically floating in from her hallway. She's wearing a huge wide grin, her hair in a messy bun and still dressed in her blue pajamas.

"Only you can find a date in a hospital, Max," I laugh and she shrugs, sitting on the furthest end of the couch from me.

Oh, I think I forgot to mention: CF patients aren't allowed to get within 6 feet of each other, so we don't catch each other's germs. That means no hugging, no holding hands, and definitely nothing more than that. 

"Her name is El," she says her eyes glinting, "she's not a patient, she was just visiting her best friend who just moved in. Apparently he's also a CFer," She continues.

"So we spent all of last night talking, and she's coming back in two hours for a real DATE. Eek!" She squeals.

I grab the pillow closest to me and hug it tightly, and Max does the same. It's kind of our way to hug. It's kind of stupid, but we've been doing it since we were kids. It's the closest we'll ever get to an actual hug.

"Anyway, I have to get ready." Max says, suddenly up from the couch.

I'm kind of excited for her.

"FaceTime after?" I ask, and she nods firmly.

"Obvi." She says, winks at me then she's gone.

Just in time, too- because the watch on my hand beeps, indicating it's time for me to go the gym. I can't help sneaking one last look at the door of room 54, where I know the weird, handsome boy is.

I don't know if I can't wait to see him again, or wish I never will.

-𝒲𝒾𝓁𝓁