- 𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓇𝓎 7 -

"𝒰𝓂𝓂... 𝐻𝒾," 𝐼 𝓈𝒶𝓎 as we go into the meditation room.

Max closes the door and sits down on one of the pillows. I sit about 6 pillows away, crossing my legs and nervously wringing my hands.

"Sorry I barged in, but you weren't answering my calls and I was worried and I didn't know you had- um, company, I-" I start, but she cuts me off.

"Will, you do know what you're doing, right?" She asks, turning her whole body towards me.
"What? I said I was sorry," I say.

"No, not that- I don't care, I have nothing to hide," she responds, "I'm talking about the new kid- Mike, right?"

I didn't expect that. I nod slowly, "What about him?"
"You like him, obvs. Pretty sure he likes you too," she says, and I stare at her with disbelief. How had she found out about what I thought- I didn't even tell her about him....
"Oh, El told me. She said you two were texting so much she couldn't even talk to him- So do you like him?" Max brushes me off.

 I can't believe her, can she actually read my mind or are my expressions just that obvious?

"Well, kinda... maybe?" I turn crimson red, and look down. Even though I'm pretty sure- scratch that, I'm positive I like Mike, It's hard for me to admit to another person.
I look up at her again, and she's looking at me with a strange emotion in her eyes- is it pity?
"... Is that a bad thing?" I ask slowly, and she hurries to shake her head.

"No, no, of course not! It's just that- well, are you sure there isn't anyone else you like?" she asks, and I raise my eyebrow in question.
"pretty sure... but what's wrong with Mike?" 

"Well, you know... he has CF, Will!" She exclaims.
"So do we, Max!" I return, and she rolls her eyes.
"Exactly! I just want to make sure you get that going down that path with him means that... you know, you won't be able to do anything- even kiss! Are you sure there isn't anyone else?"

It's not like I hadn't thought of that... but we aren't even close to that stage yet, and to be honest I'm not totally sure I want to like, you know. Not now, at least. It's honestly just- I can't imagine being comfortable enough with someone to be that personal. 

"It's not like there is a row of guys waiting to date me," I laugh a small laugh, trying to change the atmosphere, but Max sighs.

"God, you're impossible. Brady, Dr. Braugher's son, has basically been throwing himself at you for the past year. You just never notice!"

Brady is 18. He's impossibly cute, with golden hair and bright blue eyes. He had been my first ever boy crush, since I was at my second hospital stay at about 8 years old and Brady had given me his special Christmas cookie because I dropped mine.

The notion that he likes me, at least according to Max, should make me scream with joy. 

I should abandon whatever budding thing I have with the slightly annoying Mike Wheeler for my childhood crush- it's just that, well, Brady's eyes aren't the ones that really make me melt... At least not anymore. Their brilliant blue just seems colorless when I picture them next to Mike's deep chocolate eyes....

When I try thinking about  Brady like that, I kind of feel like I'm cheating on Mike. I know it's stupid, and we've barley even hung out, but turns out I fell even harder than I had thought.

Oops.

"Okay, well- obviously I'm not going to stand in your way or anything, and Mike is really really cute. I just wanted to make sure you know what you're giving up," Max correctly interprets my silence. She grabs the pillow by her side and hugs it tightly to her chest, and I do the same to the one next to me.

"Fucking CF. I want to hug you for real! My little Byers boy has a boyfriend!" she throws  the pillow aside dramatically and lies on top of it, exasperated. 

"I talked to him like, twice," I laugh, still hugging the pillow close to my chest.
"Whatever, I'm already planning your wedding. They grow up so fast," She says, and I laugh again. I love Max so much.

"You're one to talk, Miss shirtless-make- out-session." I fire back, and she sits up with a smile.
"Isn't she amazing? she's so beautiful!" she says, "We spent so much time together since I came back from the wedding. I literally think I'm in love with her." No shame, no embarrassment. She doesn't care that I walked in- and that's part of the what's so great about Max.

I laugh so hard I'm wheezing. 

"So that's why you were ignoring my calls while I was basically dying in my room," I say, "You were busy shaking up with your new girlfriend!"

She doubles over laughing. "William Byers, you're officially the cutest. Who else in the world says 'shaking up'?" I join in the laughter, embarrassed. I hate that I'm so awkward!

"And I'm sorry about that. I forgot my phone at home and my mom isn't bringing it until tomorrow. I should've let you know. " She gets up and stretches. She starts towards the exit, but then she turns back around.

"And yes, I was a little busy... Shaking up," She winks as the door closes behind her.

I laugh really loud into the empty room.

I sit in the room for a few more minutes. I need that time to kind of take in what I just learned- because apparently I like Mike much more than I had thought.
It's funny how attached you can get to a person just by texting. We talked like, once, and I already feel like I've known him for months.

My watch beeps. My stomach clenches up- It means I have some check ups. It's not a big deal, but I hate them. They make me feel like a mannequin, some rag doll as doctors come and go and my mom asks them millions of questions.

I sigh as my watch beeps again, and get up. I try to look on the bright side- the way Mike said "to be continued". Like he actually meant it.

                                                                                                                                      - 𝒲𝒾𝓁𝓁

[AUTHOR SAYS]

Guys I hope this is not too much of a slow burn ughh please don't give up on thisss I have so many things plannedddd

is anyone even reading this:(