- 𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓇𝓎 16 -

𝒾𝓉'𝓈 3:45 𝒶𝓂.

I get up, and go to my closet. I find my winter coat, the big one I used maybe twice in my life. Gloves, jeans, boots. Everything I need for snow.

My heart is fluttering in my chest. It's been so long since I saw snow, I literally can't wait. 

I get dressed, then head into the hall quietly.
I inch my way to Mike's room, careful not to make a sound. 

I can't alert any of the nurses, or they'd send me back to my room.I knock slightly, again and again. Finally, Mike opens: groggy, hair messy and shirt halfway tucked into his pajama pants.

When he sees me, his eyes open in confusion."Will? what's-"

"Shh. Get dressed," I say quietly, but he's still standing there in confusion.

"Why?" he asks, barely stifling a huge yawn.

"We're going to my woods." I answer. I told him all about my woods, about the snow.

"Are you crazy? it's like 4 am," he says.

"We'll get to see the sunrise! come on, we'll be back before morning checkups!" I beg.

 I don't know what's gotten over me. I just know I'm going.

"I really don't think we're allowed, the lungs-" he says, but I cut him off.

"Max didn't get to fulfill her dream. I have to fulfill mine. Please Mike, I have to do this. I want you to come with me, but I'll go even if you don't come. Up to you." I'm not sure if he gets dressed because he finally understands, or because he doesn't want me to go alone. 

Either way, 15 minutes later he's all covered up in his snow gear. He stands by me, still yawning widely.We sneak past through the halls, hiding behind a couch or running into an empty room every time we see a nurse. By now Mike is wide awake, and pulling me to good hiding places.

Finally, we reach the front desk. We basically crawl under it to avoid the eyes of Nurse Jim, and in a push of the glass double doors we're outside.

We stop to rest behind the hospital. I'm laughing hysterically, the Adrenalin pulsing in my veins. Mike is smiling with me, but I can see he still doesn't understand why I made him go out. That's fine. He will, the minute he sees my woods.

"Come on," I say, grabbing his hand. He stops dead, the color draining from his face, but I smile.

"Mike, I'm wearing two sets of gloves, and your'e wearing really thick ones. I think we're fine." He's not sure, but I pull him towards the road. We cross it in silence, I'm too busy enjoying the cold breeze on my face to talk.

We get to the edge of the woods. My woods.

I start going in, but Mike stops me. I turn around, and see his face is full of worry, and even a little fright.

"It's late, and the woods are dark. Can't we just go back? talk about it tomorrow?"  he asks with a calming tone. 

"I'm going." I say decisively, letting go from his hand and starting my way. After a minute, I feel his hand back in mine.
"Like I'd let you do this alone," he murmurs, and I smile slightly.

                                                                                  ✏ - - - - - - - - - -- - -

Mike can't stay mad in the woods. They're too beautiful for that. We walk for almost an hour, just silently hand in hand. The snow makes everything seem like something out of a Christmas fairy tale, and the leaves are frozen in bizarre ways all over. The snow is perfect, crunching exactly right under my boots.