5. Crackheads and Rodents

Sorry for any errors
_____

True to her word after helping Danielle pick something out, she made me a sandwich and I went home with two bottles of water and a can of juice.

Danielle’s mom, Sophia, was one of the kindest women I had ever met.  She worked at a nursing home and although she didn’t make much, she always considered me her second daughter.

When Danielle got new hand-me-downs, I got some too. Whenever relatives sent a box of food, I got half of it. If I showed up at their house beaten black and blue by my father at 3 am, she took care of me and laid me to sleep as if I was a baby.

I don’t know how I'd make it without them.

It was a little after 6, and I kicked at the rocks on my way home.

The lower I went, the worse the condition of the street and houses were. Multiple “keep-out!” signs littered the broken down houses while rats boldly frolicked in the over grown grass.

I finally arrived at my house and sigh, realizing that both my parents were home from the shoes on the ‘porch’. I walked in quietly, giving the place a once over.

They were nowhere to be seen however there were needles on the floor, and a man I had never seen laying on the dirty couch. I slowly walk towards my room, and find my parents going at it, on top of my mattress!

Bile rose from my throat and I quickly rushed out of the house, emptying my stomach on the lawn. The man who I previously left on the couch now stood in the doorway looking lost as hell.

“Wheres my money?!” He screams and my eyes widen as I could barely get myself together, throat dry and irritated.

“I-“

“I’ll kill you! You stole my money?!” He yells quickly making his way towards me and I rush backwards, falling on my bag.

“I don’t know anything about your money!” I shout back, frightened and he kneels over, slamming his fist into my face.

“Oh my g-“ Next I know his grabbing a fistful of my hair and dragging me back into the house.

“No!” I kick at the grass trying my best to scratch at his arms, by a miracle, my hand connects with his face and he lets me go for a second. I quickly stand and try my best to run away while dizzy and disorientated.
- -  -

I’m not sure what time I fell asleep, but the next I feel is someone lightly touching my bruise. I flinch away in pain, and open my eyes to find Sophia staring at me with sorrow and pity.

“Oh, sweetheart,” She murmurs softly, using her strength to lift me off the ground while unlocking her door and helping me inside. I had crumbled on their porch in tears, I must’ve dozed off.

“What happened?” She whispers, and I shake my head, feeling the tears coming back. She embraces me in a hug and I sob violently into her shoulder. “It’s okay, it’s okay.”

We stay like that until she insists that I freshen up while she makes me something to eat. I do as she tells me and throw on a huge tshirt and settle back on her couch. She hands me two microwaved pizzas and I murmur a thank you.

“So Danielle’s on a date huh?” She tilts her head and I nod. “Do you know him?”

“Not personally, but I’ve seen him around. She seems to like him.”

“What about you? Is there anyone you like?"

“Not really.”

“Well Loa . . . it isn’t a bad idea to try yknow? Get out there, have some fun!”

“Ms. Diane, no offence but you see me right? I’m ugly, and I live in a home filled with crackheads and rodents. I’m not exactly girlfriend material, or even date material for that fact.”

“Stop it, youre beautiful Loa, and. . . as for our home situations they don’t determine where we’ll end up in the future, find the right guy who’ll love you for you and all of that wont matter.”

“In highschool? Like the one I go to?” I raise an eyebrow and she cringes.

“You’re right, you’re right. But still, you should try and have fun sometimes, get away from the madness. I’m sorry that I can’t offer you more than a place to stay and some food but-“

“That’s all I need.” I interrupt her and she sighs, placing a kiss on my forehead.

“Im going to freshen up, and probably head to bed, do whatever you want.” She winks before leaving me and I shake my head.

She had long black hair that touched her back, and a small figure that actually looked good, the only flaw she had was a little mole that sat below her nose, but even that was just a beauty mark next to her green eyes, like Danielle.

I curled up on the couch and felt numb. I felt as if the world was on my shoulders and there was nothing I could do about it.

I wonder what Samuel was doing right now, probably laying in his a/c filled room under a larger comforter with the TV playing and a butler to his disposal.

I closed my eyes and forced myself to drift asleep,