Meeting her

Do vote for my story by pressing 🌟 and leave your feedbacks and suggestions. Happy Reading 😁😁
..............................................................

Karan: Who the hell is that?

His drawled question was drawled to no one in particular in the Cattle pen but it was spoken loud enough for his cousin Sameer to hear.

(Le aayi sameer ko.. Sabne pareshaan kar diya tha🙇‍♀🙇‍♀🥺)

Sameer's gaze followed Karan's across the ranch yard to see Rakhi Luthra, the matriarch of the Oakville ranch. The surprise wasn't Karan's mother but the person by her side. The tall young woman dressed in a short black skirt and a red crop top was definitely a stranger.

Sameer: I don't know.. But if the two get any closer they will be coated with dust.

Behind the two men, several cowboys were roping calves and some riding horses.

A cowboy called out to Sameer for some work.

Sameer: You go and meet the company.. I have more important things to do..

Karan: Yeah.. Right.

Rakhi: Karan.. Climb out of there please.. I want you to meet someone.

As he climbed out of the fence, he could feel the attractive stranger eyeing him closely. Normally, the idea of a woman giving him a second glance would have pleased him. Woman made his world go round. He would soak up any attention they would offer him.

But something about this woman made him self-conscious.

Rakhi was making the introductions but Karan was too lost in the guest that he could pick only a word or two.

Rakhi: Karan.. Did you hear me? This is Ms. Arora.. Preeta Arora.. The private investigator who has agreed to take up our case.

His mother's words cut into his wandering thoughts, adding even more shock to his lost senses. This was the investigator? Moreover, his mother called it our case.. But he felt it was totally hers.

Karan: Oh.. Yes

He offered his hand to the beauty standing in front of him.

Karan: Nice to meet you.. Ms. Arora

Preeta(shaking hands): Nice to meey you too.. Mr. Luthra

Rakhi: Oh.. Don't call him Mr... He's Karan to everyone else. Even you. Isn't that right, son?

Karan(smiled): I would be glad if you call me Karan. I am sure we will be getting to know each other very well in coming days.

Now if she could help it, Preeta eyed the tough cowboy standing in front of her.

When Rakhi Luthra had approached her her on this case if her husband's death, she'd been very excited.

The Oakville and Luthra reputation had been known all over the world. Besides being rich and prominent.. They were known to be fair dealers too. Solving this case for them would surely add to her experience.

But when Rakhi spoke of her son helping her, she assumed him to be a buisnessman and not such a handsome cowboy.

Preeta: Then Karan it will be.. Then you must call me Preeta

Rakhi: How much time will you take to be back home Karan?

Karan: I'll try not to be late.. Why?

Rakhi: Cook is preparing a special supper on Preeta's arrival. I would appreciate if you wouldn't be late.

Karan: I will try.. (smiling at Preeta) You understand.. Don't you?

Preeta understood that this man had been charming females with that smile from the moment he was born.

Preeta: Perfectly.. And don't feel you have to make a special effort to hurry up on my account. Your mother and i have a lot to talk about.

Rakhi(warning): Seven thirty Karan? After that i am telling the cook to throw your food out.

Karan(joked): I would like to have food tonight.. So, I better get back to work.. See you later, Preeta.

He climbed the fence again and went to his work while Rakhi urged Preeta to the extra vagant mansion.

Two hours later, Preeta stood upstairs in the bedroom she would be occupying while on the ranch. The view of the area where Karan was working was blocked by some branches which was okay with her. She didn't want extra peeks at the man. He had trouble written all over that handsome face of his.

She hadn't travelled all the way from Melbourne to Sydney to let a cowboy distract her from her job.

She had learnt the hard way that men like Karan had a habit of turning a woman's life upside down, then leaving her alone to pick up the pieces. Now that she had gotten herself glued back together after Rishab's betrayal, she had no intention of letting another man turn her head.

***************************

In the evening,
Preeta was getting ready for the supper. Rakhi had insisted that they do not "dress up heavily" for dinner so she decided to go for a casual pair of jeans and top. She was brushing her hair when the knock on the door made her turn. She was faintly surprised to see Karan standing there.

Karan: Good evening Preeta

Preeta: Good evening.. Am i late?

Karan(smiled): Not at all.. Mom thought that you would like a drink before supper.

Preeta: Sounds good.

She quickly kept the brush aside and moved towards him. He linked his arms with hers and took her down the hallway.

Karan: So, do you like the room? If you don't there are several others in the mansion.

Preeta: No.. The room is lovely and so is your ranch.

He raised his eyebrows.

Karan: My kind of woman.. I think we will get along very well.

Preeta wasn't ready to make such a prediction. Especially when he was giving off such flirtatious vibes. She was there for work and only work.

Precap: Understanding each other
..........

Hope y'all liked the chapter.

Love
Khushi❤