The Wall of Flesh

"Mom, come on!" I called to my blubbering mother as I struggled drag one of my many massive suit cases out of the van. "If you don't get out, we are going to be late for orientation!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming." My mother replied as she slid out of the car, muttering something about how rich people school was changing me already.

My palms were sweaty with anticipation. I was ready for this. I was born ready. I had every trick up my sleeve and I was--

I had finally noticed my surroundings.

I took in the pale green grass and the swaying willow trees. I admired the huge ivy-covered stone buildings, and the gravel paths leading to the well-kept courtyard. I pondered at the singing birds, and gawked at the bell tower. I smiled shyly to a group of gossiping girls that had obviously never struggled financially, and I was met with cold stares. I don't belong here. I quickly pushed the thought out of my head. I deserved this. I looked down at the ground to clear my head, and cringed at how my dirty converse contrasted the power-washed stone.

"OK, I'm in Dorm C and room 143. Oh, thank god. I'm on the first floor, right down the hall from the kitchen, three doors away from the laundry, and across the hall from the commons." I stated, reading off my letter to no one in particular.

"The commons?" My mother asked.

"Yes, the commons are basically a number of rooms that both the boys and girls share. It's like a gathering space. We saw it when we toured, remember?"

"No. I didn't really pay attention to the tour. It was boring."

I was used to my moms lack of support. After my dad left her, she had to go through the pregnancy, the birth, and raise me all on her own. We never got one child support check, and even with my mom at H-E-B from nine to five, and my early morning shifts before school at the hardware store, we were barely scraping by. I was worried that without my extra income, she would start to struggle.

"Yeah, yeah. C'mon!" I heaved my suitcase around the corner. In my haste, I ran smack into a wall

A warm wall.

A broad wall.

A strong and muscular wall.

A wall of flesh that tensed and grunted when I curiously poked its washboard abs with awe.

I looked up and started at the intense green eyes that stared back at me.

Oh wow, he's hot.