Chapter 8: Dak's Plan and Toothless's Confession

"Trust me! It's a good idea this time!" Dak tried to convince his sister to let him explain his mystery plan. 

"Dak, are you sure this idea has any chance of succeeding?" Leyla asked, clearing unconvinced. 

"Are you saying that I never have any good ideas?" 

"No, no, all I'm saying is that most of your ideas can be a bit dangerous." 

"Well, not this one... Okay, they're might be a little danger but it will work! I promise." Dak begged. Leyla only looked at him for a few seconds, she couldn't say no to Dak simply explaining his plan. Dak smiled as he noticed her start to give in. "The slinkwings want Hiccup right? We'll use Hiccup to trick them into trapping them. Once they're secure, we'll explain to them how Hiccup isn't bad. Hopefully, they'll believe us and leave us alone." 

Hiccup interrupted, "listen, I'm all for 'proving to dragons that all humans aren't bad' but those Slinkwings have acidic saliva and you want me to stand there and wait for them while they, most likely, fire said acidic saliva at me?" 

Dak shook his head. "No way! You can gladly run around, away from the acidic saliva." He smiled. 

Hiccup laughed nervously, "oh, great... Great. So how exactly will we get the slinkwings to calm down so we can talk to them?" 

"You'll run into a cage and escape through a small opening that the slinkwings can't fit through. Once they're trapped, we'll explain to them who you are and what you do for dragons." Dak finished explaining his, in his mind, magnificent plan. Although there was a large possibility of it working, Hiccup and Leyla still had their doubts and concerns. Especially Toothless, he didn't want his best friend being melted by acidic drool. After much consideration, everyone agreed that Dak's plan was worth a try. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

The cage was in position and Hiccup was ready to attract the attention of the slinkwings who wanted him dead. His constant thoughts of fear clouded his mind, but he knew that this plan had a good chance of succeeding. In the end, if the three snake-like dragons really wanted him dead, or at least off the island, Toothless and Hiccup would leave to minimise chances of the Rescue Riders having to deal with the slinkwings trying to kill them. 

Hiccup walked around the large metal cage, calling out to the dragons, in hope they'd be lured to the trap. "Glad there's no dragons out here because I sure hate those slimy beasts!" He yelled, not so convincingly. "I especially hate those three pests. What were they called again? Slonkwongs? Who cares anyway!" Hiccup felt the guilt in his throat as he shouted the slurs but he knew this was the only way he would be able to lure the dragons. 

"So you do hate dragons!" A raspy voice surprised Hiccup from behind him. He began to back up slowly in the direction of the cage. 

"Uh... w-what are you- you saying rabid beast? All talk and no walk?" Hiccup tried to speak in a disgusted tone and although he wasn't a great actor, the slinkwing now in front of him believed ever word he said. 

"Although you can't understand me, I fortunately have two friends who I think you'd like to meet. That way, we can truly show how dragons are and maybe then you'll understand us." Two more skinny dragons appeared on either side of Hiccup. They all laughed at the trapped Chief Viking. They circled him in hope of intimidating Hiccup into surrendering, but Hiccup knew that he had to get out of the circle to lead the three slinkwings into the cage. 

"Oh, um... you have friends. Maybe now you'll have a fighting chance." Hiccup tormented. All three dragons growled before the lead one tried to leap onto Hiccup. Hiccup ducked before he ran around the dragons and over towards the cage. 

"Don't let him get away!" The leader slinkwing yelled. Hiccup continued to run over to the metal trap. He was almost there before acid was thrown his way. He gasped and skidded to a stop. He turned and saw the trio gaining speed. He jumped over the acidic puddle and placed himself in the cage. Once all the dragons entered the cage, Hiccup escaped threw a small hatch made to fit into one of the sides of the metal box. He exited quickly with a forward roll before he turned around and locked the hatch. Another CLICK was heard on the other side of the cage that was locked when the metal door was shut after the three dragons cramped themselves into the trap. 

"How did that puny viking stick-man beat the three of us?! He didn't even have a weapon!" The lead dragon cried angrily. 

"He was pretty swift though... real quick." The other male dragon thought out loud, he seemed to be the dumb one of the trio. 

"But he has a peg leg! It was both of your faults. You guys are never as coordinated as me!" The female dragon yelled into the conversation. The three slinkwings continued to bicker at each other and make excuses of whose fault it was until a beaming voice interrupted their shouting. 

"If the three of you will just listen to us, you won't be in this mess for much longer!" A large black dragon with emerald green eyes stared down at the smaller reptiles. Toothless stood next to Hiccup as the evil trio argued back at the much more intimidating being. Their voices showed bravery along with fear. 

"Why are you friends with that- that murderer! Him and his kind have killed thousands of us dragons and you stand by his side?!" The main slinkwing called out. 

"This human, has done more for our kind than any dragon. His father is the one you want. His father was the one that led the humans of his island to kill dragons. Hiccup here, changed his fathers mind, along with his whole island. Dragons are free to roam their island whenever they want, and often, the dragons feel welcomed. More than on their own islands." Toothless explained firmly. The three evil reptiles stared at him and Hiccup in disbelief. The leader slinkwing, however, wouldn't give up his need for vengeance. 

"Then where's his father? Give us his location and we'll leave his son alone!" 

Toothless' glare flinched. A flashback of the battle of Drago Bludvist flew through his mind. Those moments, only short of a minute, where he was under control of the previous alpha dragon reminded him of what he did. A large devastating deed, made in such a short period of time. Although it wasn't his fault, nor his intention, he was still the one to commit the act. 

"Well? Where is he?!" The skinny dragon pressed on, interrupting Toothless' thoughts. 

"He's gone. He was killed by a dragon due to him pushing Hiccup out of the way of the blast." Toothless answered blankly. 

"Good riddance. Now, anything else you want to lecture us about?"