Character Prologues

(!) Violence, Gore, Mentions of human trafficking, animal cruelty (!)

1.
I stalked between the trees, my prey crackling branches and leaves in its attempt to be rid of me. It was too big for the woods. Made me wonder how it had gotten there to begin with. No matter. It was easy pickings now. I gripped my spear in my scaly claws, knowing that dinner was only a few steps away. I allowed my mind to wander to better days with my family, back when Dragonborn druids weren't a rarity. Suddenly, from behind me, a crash broke through the trees and the dire wolf I was hunting lunged at me.

I could feel the adrenaline in my system as the Thorn Whip Spell I had prepared that morning flared to life and struck at the creature. It smacked the dire wolf's ankles and held tight, simultaneously damaging the creature and dragging it closer. The momentum the wolf already had from lunging was its downfall as it lost its balance. I could almost laugh. It's eyes seemed to scream Wait, no, too fast!! As the wolf fell prone with a howl. I may be a larger creature, but I knew better than to waste time when prey is down. I leapt up onto the dire wolf and stabbed. Over and over. Most people would find it barbaric or too over-the-top, but I didn't survive this long in the wilderness by only doing what was necessary.

I watched as it stopped fighting, the light slowly leaving its eyes. I continued stabbing for a while after it was dead. Once I was finished, I smiled. Dinner time. I went to set up a temporary camp for the night. I climbed up a tree and tied my makeshift hammock there, then slid down to get a fire going. An hour later, I watched as the dire wolf meat simmered on the fire, but then looked at the pelt. I could make that into a pretty sweet cloak for my journey. I thought. You see, I'm going to Cat Watch to test my strength against others. With the primal instincts I have honed, I'll be borderline unstoppable. Just you wait and see.

2.

3.

4.