Chapter 8 - Vah Ruta

Summary: With Sidon's help, Mipha works to appease Divine Beast Vah Ruta.

It was late morning in Zora's Domain, and Mipha awoke from the slumber pool where she had spent the night. She had been unable to fall asleep right away, the tension over what lay ahead preying on her mind. But eventually, fatigue took over, and she slept and slept for a long time. For a change, she was the last to leave the slumber pool, not the first.

As she made her way to the adjoining lake for a fresh fish, she thought about how important today was. She had battled many enemies so far, but today would be different. Today would be her first direct challenge to Ganon itself, and it would test her like nothing before. She could not yet remember what happened on the day of the Great Calamity, and perhaps that was one of the blessings of losing her memory that Impa had mentioned. But she knew enough that whatever had happened at Ruta that day would have killed her, as it had killed the other Champions. She could not afford to let that happen again.

After catching and eating a Hearty Bass, she made her way to the throne room, where she had agreed to meet Sidon.

Sidon and King Dorephan were waiting for her, and she went right to her father and embraced him. King Dorephan held her close, reluctant to let her go. Would he ever hold her in his arms again, he wondered? Was history going to repeat itself? Would he again feel he had not done all he could to protect her?

"Don't worry, Father," said Mipha gently, sensing his feelings from the way he clung to her. "I believe in my heart that Sidon and I will prevail this time."

"I could not sleep, and have prayed all night that will be so," said King Dorephan. "Remember, both of you, that there is no shame in withdrawing and fighting another day if you find yourself overmatched."

"I know," said Mipha. "We will be careful."

Mipha looked over at Sidon.

"Are you ready?" said Mipha.

Sidon nodded, hugged his father, then joined Mipha as they made their way eastward toward East Reservoir Lake.

"You slept well, sister?" said Sidon.

"Not at first, but eventually," said Mipha.

"Same here," said Sidon. "I know how important this is, and I worry I will let you down."

"You won't," said Mipha putting her hand on his shoulder. "I believe in you, and you must believe in yourself now. We can do this together, Sidon, I know it."

The rain continued to pour down all around them, and the wind made a steady noise, shaking the trees and bushes. They made their way to the long flight of steps that led to the northwest pier of East Reservoir Lake and began climbing. When Mipha and Sidon reached the pier, they walked to the edge and stared out at Ruta. It was still spraying vast quantities of water from its trunk that dispersed into the clouds, forming rain. And water continued to gush from the four spouts along either side of Ruta's back and flow into the reservoir, straining its capacity. Round mechanisms with glowing pink orbs slowly rotated. It was time to discuss battle plans.

"Since you wield the Shock Arrows, I will act as a decoy for Ruta's defenses," said Sidon. "You swim up Ruta's water spouts and target the orbs that control them. If we can electrify them, that will shut off the water Ruta is generating."

"Yes, that's what I intended as well," said Mipha. "But please be careful, Sidon! If you need to, don't hesitate to back off. I can take care of myself in the meantime."

Mipha donned the rubber armor, then made sure her Shock Arrows were ready.

"I'm ready," said Mipha.