Chapter 11: The Laws are Absolute

The news of Duke Irathmus's crimes spread throughout the kingdom quickly thanks to the maids working at the palace gossiping to their family and friends outside of the palace. Soon everybody knew about what had happened. Everyone agreed that the Duke deserved death or at least banishment for threatening to kill the King on top of refusing to free his slaves. Although most realized that the likelihood of that happening was slim. Although the duke was wrong and the law of Azlantean was usually absolute, the Duke was still a member of the Royal family. So the chances of seriously punishing a Royal were little to none because the Royal family would want to keep face not only for their pride but for the citizens of Azlantean. Hence, the duke would probably be fined and would then return to the Kingdom of Mannon to live his life of comfort and debauchery.

Nobody wanted to see him get off free for his crimes, but most knew the that it was important for Azlantean to remain strong in front of the other kingdoms, and executing a member of the Royal family would make the other kingdoms think that Azlantean was going through some strife. However, many thought that special treatment given towards Irathmus just because he was a member of the Royal family was unfair. They believed that he should be tried and sentenced just like any other citizen of the kingdom.

Azlantean was a dictatorship that had the king making the final decision in everything, but the king had to hear multiple viewpoints before he made his decisions on public matters. Thus the King's advisors had the most influence as they helped sway the king's point of view as they had the king's ear for longer than anyone else. Under the advisors were the guilds that carried out debates in front of the king to get their opinions across to him and hopefully sway the king's opinion.

Most parties would resort to grovelling and praise to win the King's favour and attention, but a recent guild formed by Esben Khisfire was stirring up some change within the kingdom. The guild was known for sticking to their guns and being true to their beliefs even if that meant upsetting the higher-ups. They were a revolutionary group who were advocating for political and societal change in Azlantean, but at the same time, they were a party that was stirring up rebellion in the kingdom against the thousand-year-old teachings the kingdom was founded on. This was something that made the ministers and advisors nervous as they saw it as a threat to their rule and power.

Esben Khisfire was the youngest and second son of the minister of justice. Although his father had tried many times to burn the thousand-year-old teachings of Azlantean into his youngest child's brain, it didn't work. His son Esben became a rebel and instead of joining the Steel Rose guild he had founded himself, his son set up his own rebellious guild that was always causing problems and stirring up trouble. The Hallows guild. His son's antics made the minister proud and embarrassed at the same time. Proud that his son was so capable and had the initiative to pave his own way in life but also embarrassed by his son's controversial opinions on Azlanteanian laws and societal rules. The minister wondered what had happened to make his second son so different.

King Alistair was already seated on the throne in the Hall of Justice and was listening to the Steel Rose guild's proposal about what to do about Duke Irathmus's sentencing.

The long detailed speech was now coming to an end, so the speaker put extra effort to make his conclusion riveting and emotional.

"Therefore, Steel Rose hopes that his majesty will keep in mind how the execution of a Royal family member will hurt the image of Azlantean to its rival kingdoms, and thus choose another form of punishment for the duke. A punishment that is both suitable and not harmful to Azlantean's image."

The speaker from the Steel Rose guild finally finished his address and bowed courteously to the king before taking his seat. The Steel Rose guild that surrounded him, gave him gentle respectable applause as he took his seat and ran his fingers through his gelled greying hair and rubbed his tender pot-belly, very satisfied with himself.