Chapter 14: Two Swords

"I will." I was determined to become the perfect prince, and finding suitable spirit weapons was the first step on this long journey.

With that thought aside, I climbed onto the ledge of the well and then dove into its depths with my swords in hand.

Headfirst I descended into the dark mysterious spirit world, with only the knowledge of the books I had studied and Leopold's advice to guide me. As soon as my body was completely immersed in the well, my weight shifted and I felt much lighter, similar to a feather even. So light that I could no longer say that I was falling down the well, but rather gliding down it. The spirit well felt like water against my body. Its cool ripples made my hair sway as if I was submerged in liquid, but I could breathe freely and knew that sensation was the effect of spiritual power in the well and not actual water.

The well was strange and I could feel a serious shift in my body weight. It felt like I weighed the same as a feather as my body gently glided down to the bottom of the dark well. It was a long dreamy journey down to the bottom of the impossibly deep well. It didn't just feel like I was falling down a well, it felt like I was passing through to another world.

Once I heard my feet tap against the stone of the bottom, I looked around in awe. The space around me resembled the night sky, with the pitch-black stone walls of the well lit up by the spirit orbs that were glowing like stars in the vast dark space around me.

The glowing orbs that had been floating seemed to sense my presence and immediately darted towards me. They surrounded me like a mob and began to whisper to me desperately, the begged me to choose them and to take them with me. Each of them told me they were as powerful as the spirit king and wished to serve me for all eternity. Their words were just as crafty as Leopold told me they would be. Each of the spirits wanted to pass through to the human world where they could escape and enjoy the nature and free magic, so they all told me they were the strongest and most powerful spirits within the well to get me to choose them. However, one glance at the orbs and I could tell they were third-rate spirits who simply wanted to get out of the well.

Not wanting to be surrounded, I pushed past the orbs and ran further into the dark space. Some of the orbs gave up and remained where they were, the others persistently followed me and kept on whispering about how amazingly powerful they were. I kept running through the darkness until their voices faded away. Most of them had given up and returned to just floating quietly.

The spirits down the way I was walking were not as bothered by my presence, a few approached me but quickly retreated when they saw I wasn't interested. It was obvious that the further I walked the more powerful and intelligent the spirits became. At the beginning of the well, the spirits mindlessly called out to and ask for contracts, while the spirits further in could tell that I wasn't going to be an easy customer and promptly didn't waste the effort to bother me. I knew that if I wanted a great spirit, I would have to travel deeper into this realm.

As I carried on walking the number of spirits dispersed and the light got dimmer as their orb form weren't there to light up the way. At this point I couldn't see very well in the darkness, I was just following my instincts through what seemed like a maze of dark tunnels. I could tell there was a brilliantly bright light at the end of this tunnel. A spirit powerful and earnest enough to form a contract with, so I forged on, determined to find it.

After another long while of walking, I broke through to an area filled with spirits. The spirts in the area I had found myself in were much more powerful than the ones I had seen when I first touched the bottom of the well. These spirits didn't feel the need to come and seek me out, they knew they were powerful enough to have me come to them. So they patiently waited and watched me carefully as I walked by. Although these spirits didn't have forms as they were all in an orb-like state, I could feel them watching me. It was quite nerve-racking to feel all these stares on you, honestly, it made me want to run out of the well and back to Leopold, but I knew that wasn't an option. A prince of the Rosenheim kingdom should be brave and strong. I couldn't run from the task I had been given.