ENCORE: Cashing a Rain Check

A/N: ENCORE! ENCORE! ENCORE! Here it is, the last three chapters of this story for good! It does come with a small warning though: these last few chapters are very blatantly SonicxAvatar, no if, ands, or buts about it. If you initially came to this fic not wanting Sonic and the Avatar to hook up, then you can leave now with no judgement on my part (these chapters were written to be kinda separate for a reason).

While writing these chapters, I referred to the first as 'The Proposal', the second 'The Date', and the third 'The Aftermath' before giving them their proper titles. Take of this as you will...

Enjoy!

. . .

Winnie looked up at the large monitor the Resistance used to keep track of its members. Her fingers fidgeted with each other as she read the names off; Knuckles, Amy, and Team Chaotix were off helping separate settlements with Badnik attacks. Tails had requested a 'do not disturb' notice while he worked in his workshop. Silver was in a training room with Shadow and Rouge. The only names she recognized, but were not up on the monitor, were hers and...

"Whatcha lookin' at Winn?"

The female Mobian turned around to see Sonic the Hedgehog come on over to her. Seeing him up and moving made Winnie smile in greeting.

"Is this that dispatch monitor that Ames was talking about?" the blue blur then asked as his attention was drawn to the monitor as well. "Wow, everyone's up on that list, huh?"

'Except for us.' a holographic display screen, with words large enough for most people to read, beside Winnie read.

"That's 'cuz we're supposed to be elsewhere right now." Sonic snorted. "Plans kinda get changed when a lunatic comes after you, and it's not the one you're used to. Kinda ruins the flow of things, you know?"

A sudden ache in Winnie's heart illustrated that she knew exactly what he was talking about. Two weeks ago, someone from Winnie's past had tracked her down to get to Sonic. Fay'lin, as she was called, was an assassin of sorts that knowingly killed other Mobians for her own purposes. She almost killed Sonic. Thankfully, Winnie was able to get back up to rescue both her and Sonic, but by then Sonic was an inch away from death and barely holding on to life. Now? Now he was acting so much like his usual self, you never would have guessed that Sonic had been comatose two weeks before.

"Looks like everyone's busy, bummer." Sonic noted, bringing Winnie out of her daze. Giving a small noise of mild annoyance, the hedgehog then turned to Winnie herself to say, "Hey Winnie, remember how I said that we would go some place after you got out of the hospital?"

For a moment, the Mobian had to remember what he was talking about. When Winnie had first come back into contact with Fay'lin, the dangerous Mobian had broken nearly every bone in Winnie's body. For a week after that, Winnie had to recover at a nearby hospital- that was when she met back up with Sonic. Sonic, at the time, had offered to take them anywhere she wanted once she was discharged. She hadn't thought much about it since then and was almost ashamed that she had forgotten about it.

Winnie gave Sonic a nod; she remembered now, now that he mentioned it.

"Whelp," the hedgehog mused, "Since there aren't any morons who'd want to spoil our fun right now, now would be the time to cash that in."

Winnie gave him a bewildered look. 'Now?'

"Well... no, not now now." Sonic admitted with a sheepish grin. "But give it some thought though- before the next nuisance of the day arrives."

The female Mobian gave a nod of agreement.

"Great!" Sonic declared as he held his fist up. Winnie looked at it before looking back at him with a smile, bringing up her own fist for a mutual fist bump. Satisfied, the blue hedgehog gave his friend a two finger salute before heading on out.