ENCORE: The Burning Question

A/N: I don't have nothing witty to say. Happy holidays to those who celebrate those things.

Enjoy.

. . .

The breeze coming off the canals and over the bridge smelled of both salt and something that faintly resembled chlorine. To the people that lived here, the smell was so familiar that they had ignored it- but to the tourists it gave a sense of renewal and prosperity. Sonic was a tourist that acted like a local. While the cool, clean air fueled him, he did not stop running through the many alleyways and bridges to admire any of the scenery. Winnie watched with some amusement as she sat on top of one of Soleanna's flat roofed houses. There was an odd curiosity in keeping track of the blue blur; like watching a mouse run through a maze in search of a prize.

Eventually, Sonic decided that he had had enough running around and started to jump up to the roofs. It did not take long for him to sit next to Winnie- both of them looking out on the citizens below them. From here, you could see almost all of the main city in some amount of awe.

"So, I don't think this place is as drab as I thought," Sonic mused as he made himself comfortable, "But I still don't get why they'd have a big shindig for war veterans anyway? Most everyone that fought in the war was one of us, and yet Soleanna's pretty much all human."

Winnie shifted a bit, her hands knitting into each other, as she gave a thoughtful hum. Beside her -and in Sonic's line of view- Winnie's communication screen read, 'Soleanna helped develop the initial blueprint that became Wispons.'

"Really?" the blue blur questioned in wonder. "Huh, learn something new everyday."

Winnie kept to herself that she once overheard someone say that it was because Soleanna's reigning princess had an admiration for Sonic, which helped inspire the country's involvement. It completely baffled her that anyone (especially a human to Mobian) could hold so much admiration toward someone they had never met. Then again, this was Sonic's legacy we're talking about; who knows what kind of unintentional sway he had over people he's never known. She personally had seen very little reference to the hero before she helped rescue him during the war; Sonic the Hedgehog had been a myth at best, like Santa Claus or gremlins. And yet, here she was, sitting next to him on a rooftop as if they were on a date.

"You know," Sonic mused with a click of his tongue, "I'm not very good at small talk, but I think some things need to be said and all. So let's start with... Infinite. I guess; he was a common enemy for awhile. What'd ya think about that guy?"

Winnie winched in remembering Infinite. 'Common enemy' had been a vast understatement- without Infinite she would have had no reason to be here with Sonic. It was funny to think how fate worked some times. Winnie looked back over at Sonic, her legs were folding and her expression was thoughtful as the screen in front of her read, 'No personal space.'

"Agreed." Sonic chuckled before he laid on his back. Winnie imitated him before a certain thought crossed her mind. A smile then etched on Winnie's face as her screen appeared above them. 

'His voice was delicious.'

Seeing this made Sonic shoot back up again. He gave her a face that didn't know whether to be amused or genuinely surprised. "Are you serious?!" he questioned- his voice not sounding any more certain. Winnie didn't seem to acknowledge him.

'He reminded of this guy called Dimitri Allen.'

"That in no way answers my question Winifred!"

Another smile returned to her face. 'Some times I have dreams about him.'

"Oh no, you go back to that 'his voice is delicious' comment, buddy! I demand to know more!"

At this point, it was more than obvious that Winnie was ignoring Sonic now- what with her playful smiling and light laughter. She found the situation so amusing that she couldn't make her communication screen show the other thoughts she had about Infinite. Sonic cocked an eyebrow at her but soon gave a small shrug of indifference.