Chapter 2: Is it gay to read a play?

Daniel sniffled, rubbing his nose. As he walked home he scowled at every flower he passed. He was walking alone, looking at his phone several times a minute in case Eddie cancelled.

He gasped a little when he felt a weight on his shoulder. He turned around and saw a grinning Eddie with his hand on his shoulder, moving forward from the momentum of running.

'I may as well walk with you,' he explained with heaving breaths. 'That way I can get to your place straight away and we can study a bit earlier.' He took a closer look at Daniel. 'Why do you look so grumpy?'

Daniel sighed. 'Spring. Fucking hay fever.'

'That's a shame. I love Spring. It's like all the plants are rising from the dead. That and Halloween's in Spring.' Daniel chuckled. 'What?'

'Rising from the dead? The only thing that's rising is my impatience for all this pollen.' A sneeze.

Eddie turned to his side but continued walking the same direction. 'Are you taking any medicine for it?'

Daniel shook his head. 'I'll be fine. I'm just being whiny.'

'You really should take care of yourself. If you don't, you'll end up in the doctor's office or worse, you'll be miserable all season.' Eddie leaned in even closer, not noticing how Daniel's body tensed up. 'So, what do you do besides footy... and sucking at Shakespeare?' Daniel glared at Eddie. 'What? Okay, to be fair I've always sucked at sports. Or does surviving a mosh pit without being squished or trampled to death count as a sport?'

'I, uh... don't do much outside of that and watching TV. I need more hobbies. Speaking of which, what did you have on last night?'

'Corpse Windmill was on and it was their last performance before they head back to the Netherlands. They're this really obscure comedic technical death metal band. They debuted in 2004 as a reaction to postmodern notions of-'

'I think I get the point.' Eddie pouted and Daniel's heart twisted. 'Uh, well, actually, instead of telling me about the band you can tell me about that technical metal stuff.'

Daniel halted as if a record had just been scratched. 'You listen to metal?'

Eddie pointed at his face and laughed. 'Why are you so surprised? It's obvious by the name I gave myself. Eddie's the mascot for Iron Maiden, and Ironpoe's a combo of Iron Maiden and Edgar Allen Poe, who's the best gothic writer; you cannot change my mind.'

Daniel frowned at his hands. Into his pockets they went. 'I don't know much about metal.'

'What do you listen to?'

'Pop and Rap mostly.'

'Well, there is rap metal but it doesn't have the best reputation. I'll try and find a really good artist and show it to you.'

'Thanks. I just thought you'd listen to, I dunno, songs you'd play in a gay bar.'

'What songs do they play at a gay bar? I've never been to one.'

Daniel looked at the ground. He sneezed. 'Oh. I haven't either, obviously, but I imagine they'd be the songs that go 'doof doof doof doof' or 'ins ins ins ins'. I dunno.'

Eddie laughed so hard that tears began seeping out if his eyes. 'Say that again.'

Daniel bit his tongue.

Eddie scoffed. 'You're no fun.'

'Sorry.'

The two took the rest of the trip in silence.

Eddie took a good look at Daniels home, which was a two-story grey concrete monstrosity with big glass windows and a sizeable garage. The garden was covered with ferns, a palm tree casting a shadow over the sand-coloured cobbled driveway.