Chapter 3: Is it gay to work out with other guys?

Daniel stood in front of the gym, looking at the time on his iPod. He coincidentally turned up the volume of the rap song at the very moment a rapper said, 'No homo.' He changed the song even though it was one of his favourites.

He grinned when he saw Eddie jog up to him in a black T-shirt with the word 'Ghost' on it and a pair of dark grey track pants. While jogging he was taking a CD out of his purple duffle bag.

He handed it to Daniel. It said 'Rage Against the Machine'.

Daniel nodded in understanding. 'I didn't know these guys did rap. I assumed they were a punk band or something like that.'

Eddie gasped in a loud voice and put a hand on his heart. 'Assumed? How dare you!'

Daniel raised an eyebrow. 'Was that sarcasm?'

Eddie chuckled. 'Oh my god, you're like a kid.' Daniel frowned. 'Oh, sorry. That came out wrong. I didn't mean to insult you or anything.'

Eddie gulped, his eyes blooming outwards like a pansy in the spring. Daniel was laughing. Holy hell he was laughing. His voice was as deep as one would expect from him but somehow it didn't sound harsh or threatening. It was kind of quiet and melodic.

A smile leapt onto Eddie's face. He watched Daniel laugh with the curiosity of a visitor looking at a zoo animal. Daniel eventually noticed this and felt his cheeks heat up.

He coughed. 'Let's go in. Have you been to a gym before?' Eddie shook his head. He and Daniel walked inside and headed to the desk. Eddie turned his head and saw several rows of treadmills to his right. 'Okay, so make sure to negotiate. Don't just take the first offer. Young people can't afford the full price. Oh, and you have to get them to give you one free session with a personal trainer. That way you can properly learn how to use the equipment. I can teach you a little, but there are some machines I don't use.'

Eddie nodded, reigning in his temptation to point out how long Daniel just spoke for. At the desk, Daniel told the receptionist that he had invited a friend and therefore he was entitled to two weeks free for his membership plus a water bottle. He held his thumb up at Eddie, who was whisked away to a table in the corner of the gym.

When Eddie returned to the desk, Daniel asked him how it went. '14.95 per week plus one session with a personal trainer next week.'

Daniel grabbed his arms and pulled him closer as if he was about to give him a hug, but he stopped and stepped backwards. Eddie froze, surprised, before rolling his eyes.

It took Eddie five minutes of using the cross trainer before he was slumped over the damn thing, panting and whining. However, he kept going when he heard Daniel lightheartedly laugh at him. That damn melodic laugh played in his mind over and over again like a theme song in a sports montage.

Eventually, he was able to work on running on various equipment for half an hour. Whenever he felt like giving up again, he looked at Daniel next to him and watched him smile as he ran faster and faster. Something told him Daniel would quickly choose runner's high over sex. The slight growth down below added to this hypothesis.

Little did he know that Daniel kept sneaking glimpses of Eddie's slender arms and legs as he worked out.

After the thirty minutes were over, Daniel told Eddie, 'I've got to go to the bathroom. I'll meet you in the other weights room.'

Eddie smirked but said nothing, preferring to go the dignified route and chug the water from his bottle.

In the toilet stall, Daniel held his head in his hands.

What's wrong with me? He's a fucking fairy. What, do I find fairies hot now? I'm not even gay, and if I was, why the hell wouldn't I be into manly dudes?