iv. promises are inevitably broken

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━...‥・

"YOU REMEMBER FRESHMEN YEAR when mandy milkovich said she wanted to fuck me and you got so jealous that you fought her in the middle of third period?"

cassie rolled her eyes at the memory, snatching the joint from elliot's hand. the boy only laughed in response, knowing the gallagher girl hated any time he brought up the incident.

"i was not jealous." cassie exhaled the smoke, playfully acting as if she wasn't going to allow him to take the joint back. "not until you agree i wasn't jealous."

"but you were, princess." elliot sighed, wrapping his arm around his best friend.

cassie would never admit it, but it was true. she felt threatened. she always did. elliot and cassie had been best friends since kevin and veronica moved in next door. they were just mere children. whenever a girl would come into elliot's life, cassie always felt this underlying sense of anxiety that she'd inevitably lose him to whatever girl caught his attention.

little did she know, there wasn't a girl in the world elliot could ever see himself putting before his best friend.

the two recited on the roof of the gallagher home. the music from the living room where steve, fiona, frank, kev, and v were partying could be heard. her siblings were in the bedrooms, resting before school the next morning.

"i don't want to go to school." cassie whined dramatically, pressing her face into elliot's chest.

his chest rumbled due to the laugh that slipped past his lips once again. "then don't. we can sneak off to the shed, smoke a little, drink a little, whatever you want to do, cass."

"as tempting as that sounds, we've did that about seven times this month alone. fiona will kill me." cassie pulled back slightly, her gaze meeting elliot's. "but when three o'clock comes around."

elliot grinned at the teasing tone in her voice as she dragged out her words dramatically. "tell me if you change your mind."

cassie mirrored the grin when he mockingly dragged out his words as well. "don't let me change my mind. fiona already has enough to worry about. i don't need her worrying about me ditching everyday too."

"it's not everyday." elliot furrowed his eyebrows, taking notice to the way cassie deadpanned him. "okay, every other day, what's the difference? it's not like i'm going to need that shit anyways."

"we can't end up like them, eli." cassie whispered, intertwining her fingers with elliot's.

elliot glanced down to their hands, a sense of nostalgia hitting him. cassie was always one for physical affection, whether it be holding hands, running fingers through hair, or a simple reassuring squeeze, it all brought her comfort nonetheless. however, he quickly realized it was only with the ones she loved most in the world.