- the color yellow | 01

ⓄⓞⓄ

ⓄⓞⓄ

The first time Bill found something yellow on his porch, he hadn't been quite sure what to do with it.

After all, there wasn't much use for a poorly-made paper boat. All it did for him was stir up bad memories. The thick construction paper felt heavy in his hands as he stood on his front steps, staring at it like it had some deeper meaning— and perhaps it did. He just wasn't sure yet exactly what that meaning was.

Part of him wanted to just throw it away. He was on his way to hang out with Richie Tozier and Stan Uris, and he was in a hurry. He didn't want to take it with him. But it reminded him of his little brother, and there would always be that small part of him that would never let go of his memory. So Bill carried the boat into his house, closing the door behind him and walking up the stairs to his room. He glanced around the messy area for a moment, and had that dull thought that some teenagers had—

I should clean my room.

But there was never any motivation behind that thought, really, was there? No teenager actually took their own advice and cleaned their room without being asked. The one exception to this might have been Eddie Kaspbrak, who claimed to be absent from their get-together today for this very reason, although it was more likely because his mother had taken over his life ever since the events that had taken place earlier this summer.

Bill strode absently over to the crumpled heap of yellow material, still slick with grime and crusted with red at the shoulder of one sleeve. He brushed his fingertips over the rain jacket, heart aching a bit, before he rested the yellow boat atop it, forcing a small smile. It almost blended in, and as he backed towards his door, nearly tripping over his scattered clothes, he could hardly tell the difference.

With one more long, lasting look, the sole remaining Denbrough sibling turned and ran out of his house, swinging his leg over his trusty bike and pedaling off towards the quarry. Wind whipped his hair out of his face, plastering it against his head as clouds cumulated over his head. It wouldn't be long before it started to rain. As Bill reached the peak of the hill he had been powering upwards, there was a distant shout.

"Hey, look who finally decided to join the party!" A small smile tugged at Bill's lips as he sailed down the hill, coming to a skidding stop next to the two boys at the bottom of the hill. "What gives, Big Bill? Were you thinking about ditching us just like Eds and the rest of the gang?"

"W-W-Was not, Trashmouth," Bill retorted, letting his bike fall onto its side once he had wheeled it out of the road. He turned to face Richie Tozier, who was grinning from ear to ear. His gaze shifted to Stan Uris, who was also smiling as he shoved a few curls out of his face.