Safety Net

Chance's POV

The morning came fast and I never dosed off through the night. My thoughts found them selves in the past and on the witch in the room beside me. She was consuming my time, the distraction of a human body is one of the many tricks in the book. And I knew that too well from traveling to and from the two worlds, transforming my features to that of a humans time and time again.

I sat up and stretched, looking over at the time. Going over my busy schedule in my head.

 I know Gonic watched over her all night.

What else does he have to do? I rolled my eyes.

I think he is beginning to enjoy her company. He needs to stay away, if she is a witch she will be executed. And getting attached will only spoil the process.

8:15 a.m., I'm early for once I usually oversleep.

I called the kitchen and asked for a full breakfast for the witch and the usual for myself. I need to keep the witch healthy and safe, I can only find out so little if she's dead.

I ended the call.

My meals were scheduled accordingly but when I wouldn't answer the door they instead relied on me to call for it. Ever since I moved out from the King's Royal Palace I found the next best thing, The Estate. The Estate is where all the Royals lived not very far from the Palace, in fact right below it. I didn't make it very far away but in time I will. The Royal Family was expected to reside on the first floor every square inch to themselves however, the King alone resides there now and his royal companions settled for big rooms on the floors leading to the ground floor. The workers that fended for their every need worked below ground level and worked under better conditions than others. I am not sure where they lived on there days off or rest time it never occurred to me to check.

I got up off the bed the dark room and cold ground made it impossible not to yawn. I walked to the locked closet door, not bothering to put on a shirt. I took a deep breathe and ran my hands through my already messy hair.

I unlocked the door slowly and opened it feeling a bit anxious. The door opened to the view inside.

She laid there. On the mattress curled up in a ball with one of my many black jackets on her.

Gonic. I doubt she would pick up something for me and willingly use it  ,I thought.

I wanted to take a closer look at her. My feet reacted before my mind registered the thought.

I walked closer to her sleeping body. My body on alert for any sudden movement. I was about to kneel and brush the hair from her face when Gonic appeared. "Get the breakfast that's coming" I said quickly reverting my steps backward.

"Get up." I shouted to her still body making sure to sound blank and emotionless and Gonic left.

She rolled onto the next side of the mattress. "Get up" I said a bit louder.

This time she turned onto her back and opened her eyes slowly, blinking a few times before her eyes were on full display. I looked away as my heart started to beat rapidly and focused on the clothes in the distance straight ahead.

"Get to the bathroom now, everything you need is in there. Your breakfast is on the way." I didn't wait on a reply. "Follow me". I walked to the bathroom slowly as she trailed behind me soon after.

I could hear her thoughts, 'This is no dream'.

I stopped infront of the bathroom and opened the door. "You have 10 minutes, I will let you know when you only have 5 minutes left." And she went in and shut the door behind her.