Chapter 10

Warning: Mention of Death, Strong language

The next morning, Vincent woke up in his bed. He must have fallen asleep without realizing it. He looked around the room, his eyes subconsciously searching for Dream - no, for Clay, who was nowhere to be seen. After a minute, the memories of the previous night came flooding back. The servant covered his face with his hand, running a finger along his lips as he recalled the intimate moment he'd shared with the blonde.

A knock came at his door and he jumped from his bed to open it, still grinning at the memories. His smile fell at the sight of his boss with a grim expression. " What's wrong?"

" You've been summoned," he said, his voice low. " By the King."

The servant's heart fell to the ground, his breathing increasing rapidly. He could hardly hear the words from his boss as he leaned against the wall, his knees threatening to give out underneath him. He'd messed up something, surely. The King knew he was harboring a criminal, and now he was going to be killed. His boss put a hand on the younger man's shoulder.

" I'm sorry, son," he sighed. " Just meet me in F1M in thirty minutes, and make sure to fix that bed head of yours."

The older man stalked away, leaving the shocked servant to his thoughts. Thirty minutes until he had to meet with the most important man in the kingdom. The man with more deaths on his hands than some young soldiers. Not knowing what else to do, he threw on his uniform and ran up the stairs, breathing heavily as he rounded the corner into A6D. He pushed open the window, desperate for someone to save him from impending doom.

As Vincent hoped he would, Dream swished onto the windowsill. The man had a cheeky smirk on his face, until the servant gripped into the bottom of his cloak, on the brink of a breakdown. Clay jumped down to the floor and immediately enveloped Vincent in a hug. He stroked the brunette's hair until he calmed down enough to form words.

" The King," he gasped, " wants to see me!" Dream's heart exploded with fear and a strange feeling of protectiveness.

" Why?! Is it something bad?!"

" Nothing good comes from the King, Clay!" Vincent squeezed the blonde closer, letting himself get lost in the man's scent. " I'll be killed for sure!"

" No!" Clay exclaimed loudly, before lowering his voice. " No, I'll make sure that doesn't happen..." Vincent looked up at him, his dark eyes filled with worry.

" Call for me," the blonde started. " You shout 'Dream' as loudly as you can, and I'll be there in an instant."

" But there's no way you could defeat all his guards! They'd kill you!" Vincent shook his head, dismissing the idea instantly. " I would never do that to you."

" You're cute when you underestimate me," Dream teased, trying to lighten the mood. It didn't work. " I have connections, love, I'll take care of it. Just shout for me and I'll whisk you away from here."

The stayed like that for a bit, Clay holding Vincent close while the servant tried to compose himself. Finally, the brunette pushed away. " Alright, I think it's time I go."

Dream nodded solemnly. He reached up and patted down Vincent's messy hair. " There, fit for a King."

The smaller male smiled sadly, looking over his shoulder one last time as he headed to the throne room, dreading every step. Clay's smile fell the moment Vincent was out of sight. He turned to the window and jumped, off to get help.

Vincent met his boss in the instructed hallway, F1M. The servant took note of how his boss had chosen to meet in this hallway, rather than the hallway one over, where his friend worked. That had most definitely been done on purpose. The older man fidgeted with Vincent's clothing, brushing off dirt that wasn't there and straightening his tie a million times, telling the young man that he was very nervous.