Chapter 16

Warning: Strong language, mention of death, injuries

     The carriage ride was the most uncomfortable comfortable thing Clay had ever experienced. The inside was cushioned and expensive, but the road was bumpy and the ceiling was low. The only good thing about it, the blonde decided, was Vincent.

     Zak, Darryl, and the queen rode in a different carriage with the majority of the luggage, leaving Clay to have some alone time with the brunette. The countryside passed by at a reasonable pace, but you got bored of seeing the same scenery after awhile. So, to ease his eyes from the same old grassy hills, he watched Vincent intently.

     The servant shifted in his seat, feeling the eyes burning into his head. After a few minutes of being watched, Vincent let out an annoyed, " What do you want?"

     " Wow, so cruel," Dream whined. He quickly moved so that he was sitting on the same seat as the brunette, instead of just across from him. He made an exaggerated stretching motion and casually draped his arm over Vincent's shoulder. " Can't even tell when I want love and affection. Fate is a cruel mistress, giving me someone so cold."

     When Vincent didn't react, Clay worried he'd overstepped a boundary, and mentally prepared an apology just in case. However, upon further investigation, the blonde noticed his far-off look and his head tilted ever-so-slightly to the right. From what he'd learned up until that point, Vincent looked like that when he was thinking of something very hard.

     What? Don't judge! He'd picked up a few things from staring at him for hours on end, it wasn't creepy!

     After a few minutes, Vincent broke the silence, " You know, we've kissed, cuddled, and shared secrets, but you've never told me you liked me before."

     Clay gaped, completely caught off guard by the inquiry. His face turned bright red and he covered it with his hand. " O-Oh," he stuttered out. " Well, I can say it if you want me to."

     Vincent lifted a hand and pushed Clay's away from his face. The blonde, still trying to hide his burning expression, turned his face away altogether. That didn't work either, as the servant simply put  a hand on his cheek and turned it back. Dream was slightly intimidated by Vincent's eyes, taking note of how lovely they looked in the afternoon lighting. 

     " Say it," Vincent said, with a tone in his voice that could make anyone melt. 

     Trying to regain his self-confidence, Clay responded with, " Make me."

     " I'll give you a kiss if you do."

     The blonde decided that was a very compelling argument. He leaned closer and whispered quietly, so only Vincent could hear him, " I like you, Vincent."

     The brunette's ears turned red before he broke out into a laugh. Clay frowned. " What's so funny? I was promised a kiss!"

     " Right, right," Vincent dismissed. He pressed a finger to the hitman's chin and turned him so that he was looking straight forward. " But I never specified where!"

     Dream grumbled, but accepted it anyway. Vincent leaned closer, painfully slowly, but the blonde didn't dare rush him. Suddenly, the carriage went over a startlingly large bump and Clay's head jerked to the left. The brunette pressed their lips together, before jerking away in surprise. 

     The hitman thanked every god there was in his head, but outwardly he just joked, " That's not where my cheek is, Vince!"

     The servant lightly punched him in the arm, but instantly regretted it when Clay winced in pain. " Oh my God! I'm so sorry!"

     The blonde's expression changed from hurt to mischievous and he laughed. " I'm just kidding, I'm fine."

     No he wasn't, Clay was screaming inside, but he wanted to take every opportunity he could to tease Vincent. Even if it was sometimes at the expense of his very bruised upper arm. The ride continued like that; Clay flirting, Vincent getting angry, occasional injuring of one of the two, and the whole time, Dream was silently scooting closer to the brunette. That went on until Vincent was squished between the side of the carriage, and Clay.

     " Scoot over! I've got no space!" The smaller man complained. 

     Clay smirked. " I've got a little Vincent-shaped space in my heart! That's all yours, babe!"

     Vincent was very close to elbowing him in the gut, but he was not redoing those bandages again. Eventually, the ride quieted down when Dream laid his head down in the brunette's lap. Gently, Vincent ran his fingers through Clay's hair, pleasantly surprised to discover how soft it was. After a few minutes, the blonde's breathing slowed and he seemed to have fallen asleep.

     Vincent was extremely facinated with Clay's sleeping face. He hadn't been able to see it often, since they had only just gotten comfortable around each other, and then they had to escape the castle. After that, Clay had stayed awake, or in a state of half-sleeping, so he could keep watch for danger. Sure, they'd shared a bed in the Queen's little home, but Vincent was usually buried in the bigger man's chest, also asleep. 

     So, now was the first time he could really stop and watch him. He felt a bit like a creepy stalker doing it, but it was all worth it to observe the hitman in his sleep. His face was relaxed, rid of the stress of everyday life, and it made him look much younger. His face had permanent lines from smiling so often, and Vincent thought that was quite cute. 

     Not to mention, the way his lips parted ever-so-slightly drove the brunette mad. When the blonde mumbled something in a deep, raspy voice, Vincent felt his face heat up. With nothing to distract him, the servant had no choice but to realize how painfully attractive Clay was. 

     To add to the list of good things, he couldn't flirt if he was asleep, so that was a bonus. 

     " Vince," Clay grumbled, shifting around in his sleep. The servant inwardly groaned, hating himself for how much he liked Dream's morning voice. 

     Vincent tore his eyes away from the man, forcing himself to watch the scenery go by. He noticed a few things he'd seen before and he reckoned they were approaching the capital. The servant wondered what people on the street might think of them; an expensive carriage heading for the castle where the King was recently killed. He imagined they were very curious.

     Finally, the bumpy ride came to a stop and Vincent lightly shook Clay awake. When he sat up, the brunette found himself weirdly upset at the lack of contact. A knock came at the carriage door, and the old queen's voice called from the other side.

     " We're here!"