Chapter Two

Crickets chirped around Jungkook as he looked up at the night sky, glowing white specks scattered across the black canvas above him, his back pressed against the grass just a few yards away from the pack house. His arms were folded behind him, propping his head up as he stared off into space.

He was exhausted, the day taking its toll on the young alpha as he enjoyed the peace and quiet. He couldn't stop replaying the day in his head, the images so vivid as he tried shaking them away, but he couldn't. He couldn't stop, and all he could remember was seeing so much blood.

The red substance was stained in his mind, and that's all he could see. He's never witnessed anything like that before, and it was traumatizing. He was still shaken up by today's events, and he would do anything for the images to stop replaying in his mind, turning it from a once peaceful state, to a chaotic environment.

The pale moon lit up the starry night sky as a gentle, chilling breeze brushed by, causing his dark bangs to fall in front of his eyes. He was wearing a maroon long sleeved shirt, with grey sweatpants as he remained lying in the hard ground just outside the pack house.

The lights inside were off, and Jungkook couldn't tell what time it was, all he knew was it was late into the night. If he were to guess, he would assume it was well past midnight now, everyone in bed asleep while he remained wide awake and not able to doze off in the slightest.

He laid there, wide awake, memories flashing through his mind, not able to stop them. He had his arms folded behind his head, using them as a pillow as he gazed up at the twinkling stars, an oversized hoodie over his body with sweats hugging his thighs.

A chilly breezes blew past every now and then, chills running down his body and forming small goosebumps, teeth slightly chattering, but he couldn't be bothered to get up and go inside the toasty warm pack house yet. He knew he would be tossing and turning all night if he tried to lay down and get some sleep.

So he just stayed outside, lying flat on his back, hands behind his head, eyes glued to the sparkling canvas above him. He exhaled a gentle sigh, fluttering his eyes closed when yet another breeze came blowing by, his body slowly relaxing at the sound of leave rustling.

"What're you doing up?" A voice asked, startling the young alpha, his eyes snapping open and causing him to sit up, turning around and seeing Hoseok standing behind him with a thick blanket wrapped around his body. His face was a little puffy from just waking up, hair sticking up in all directions as he stood there, looking at Jungkook with furrowed brows and squinted eyes.

"You scared the shit out of me, Hyung," Jungkook breathed, resting his hand over his rapidly beating heart as he slowly laid back down. He inhaled a few breaths to ease his heart rate as Hoseok made his way over to the ravenette and plopped down beside him with a thud.

"M'sorry," He mumbled before yawning, covering his mouth with the blanket-wrapped hand, stifling before letting it fall onto his lap. Jungkook's eyes went back to the sky, gaze admiring the pale moon and sparkling stars above them, making him feel at peace. "You never answered me."

"Couldn't sleep." Jungkook shrugged, eyes never leaving the glimmering stars as an intense shiver ran down his spine once more, teeth chattering more now. Hoseok seemed to noticed this, causing him to scoot a little closer to the boy, lying down and covering their shivering bodies with the warm blanket. "Thanks."

"No problem," He mumbled sleepily.

"Why are you up?" Jungkook asked, glancing over, taking note in the sleep laced within his voice as he spoke to the young alpha. Hoseok just shrugged, pulling the blanket up to his chin and snuggling deeper into it when he felt the temperature continue to drop.

"Yoongi's snoring," He answered, making Jungkook snicker softly at the older as he shook his head. "I've tried rolling him over, but nothing's working. I was gonna crash in your room but you weren't there, so I looked for you and found you out here."

"I see."

Hoseok nodded as they both fell silent, neither male speaking as they just laid there in the peaceful silence that surrounded them. The atmosphere around them was quiet and relaxing, something they both found themselves enjoying and getting lost in as they relished in one another's company.

"You're thinking about what happened," Hoseok spoke after a few minutes is quiet, causing Jungkook to snap his gaze over, looking at the older with an unreadable expression plastering his features. He stayed silent, his eyes slowly shifting down, a dead giveaway that Hoseok was right.

It didn't surprise Jungkook that Hoseok was able to read him so easily. Hoseok has always been able to read Jungkook like he was a book, knowing exactly what was going on in the alpha's head without Jungkook having to come to him. It used to be weird at first, but Jungkook soon grew used to it, thinking it was just because they were close.

"I want you to know it's not your fault," Hoseok continued when he was met with silence, taking this as his invitation to continue on. "None of it. It's not your fault your parents didn't tell you about Midnight Rose. It's not your fault they attacked us. There was nothing no one could've done."

"I know that, Hobi," Jungkook replied, sighing heavily as he ran a heavy hand through his dark bangs, brushing them out of his face. "I just . . . I can't help but think about all the what if's, you know? What if there was something I could've done to help my pack out? What if there was something I could've done that would make my parents trust me enough to tell me about Midnight Rose."

"Yeah, but, Kook, that's the thing," Hoseok said, turning his head and gazing at the youngest beside him with brows pulled to a crease and lips parted. "There's nothing no one could've done. Your parents not telling you wasn't because they didn't trust you."

"Then why didn't they tell me?" He asked, head snapping over to look at Hoseok with eyebrows punched together, jaw clenching a little as he wanted to believe Hoseok's words, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. "I was in training. Isn't that something I should've known?"

"Kook, I don't know why they didn't tell you. That part still remains a mystery to all of us, but I know for a fact that it's not because they didn't trust you," Hoseok tried to assure the boy, but he could tell Jungkook wasn't believing him. "You can continue to ask yourself that question, but right now, you need to focus on what you're going to do next because you're our alpha now."