Chapter 6

"Duong," said Thoth, "call the prince."

"Holy hax!" whispered Oannes, from right behind me. I looked around and found that she and the camera crew had followed us along the corridor and were watching riveted again.

"Forgive me, Lord Thoth," said the teleportation officer, who was looking embarrassed to the point of excruciated, "but the prince said you'd say that. He told me to tell you that yes, he is completely serious."

"Then call the emperor," said Thoth, without looking away from Odin.

"Again, my lord," said the teleportation officer, "he told me to tell you that he already has, and his imperial majesty agreed."

"Duong, call the emperor," said Thoth. Duong stepped to one side with his phonecom.

"If it's any consolation Thoth, I'm no happier about this than you are," said Odin.

"That would be impossible," said Thoth. "And you will use my title when you address me."

"Why? We're social equals," said Odin. He stepped forward slowly – the guards tensed, but did not stop him – and climbed the stairs.

"Your family renounced your Nobilita status two hundred years ago," said Thoth.

"Yes, and gladly," said Odin, as he reached the top, and I saw he was the same height as Thoth. Odin had the younger, heavier, more solid looking build compared to Thoth's aged and needle-thin frame, but the determination with which they looked at each other was exactly equal. It was like watching an unstoppable force and an immovable object sizing each other up. "However, one of the sweeteners of our new agreement is that any J.R. members with Nobilita ancestry who wish to can reclaim their titles. Personally, I wasn't planning to, but it comes with a seat in the new senate. That's a practical advantage my colleagues insist we can't afford to ignore going forwards."

"I got the Imperial Secretary, my lord," said Duong, putting his phonecom away. "Confirmed. His majesty is extending a formal invitation to the wedding to Mr Odin."

"That's most kind of him," said Odin, "and you can address me as Lord Odin, captain. I'm here to..."

"Obviously," said Thoth. "We do not need your assistance."

"Then you're an unprofessional, petty, juvenile idiot," said Odin. "You know for a fact that I have more detailed, current and intimate knowledge of my party's breakaway faction than you can ever hope to."

"You underestimate me," said Thoth.

"If I did, you would have destroyed us years ago," said Odin.

"Correct," said Thoth, "but I am still perfectly capable of doing this without your assistance."

"Possibly," said Odin. "But unfortunately, your high opinion of yourself does not count for anything. We are both here under orders."

"You're on the supreme council," said Thoth, frowning.

"Yes, and what's left of it overwhelmingly voted to send me," said Odin. "They feel we need to do everything we can to ensure that our new agreement with the throne succeeds. I'm here to help you keep Prince William breathing and see that the wedding and the announcements go ahead on schedule. It's a pleasant experience to be given the job you voted against."

"That's one of the many dangers of democracy," said Thoth. "Duong, call Zirnitra back. Tell her I want to speak to his Imperial Majesty personally."

"Yes, my lord," said Duong.

"In the meantime, lieutenant, don't let him go anywhere or do anything," said Thoth. He stalked off back to the lounge, leaving us standing with Odin.