Chapter 17

"What in Darwin's name are you doing, Matt?" said the prince.

"What the hax does it look like?" said Endovelicus, his eyes flicking around as he tried to watch all of us at once.

"Hypocrisy," said the prince, nodding at Washington-Allah. "You are willing to throw away everything to stop us making peace with the J.R., but you're prepared to work with him?"

"This is an alliance of convenience only," said Endovelicus.

"Likewise," said the lead Free Martian. "Can we go now, please?"

"No, not without him," said Washington-Allah. "Over here, please, Mr Fall."

"Why?" said Titus, spreading his hands. "It's been ten years since I last had any dealings with your company."

"Yes, and we've regretted it ever since," said Washington-Allah. "Hiring you was the worst mistake we made since... It doesn't matter. But you're coming with us. I need to know where the real Dionysus is."

"What the hax do you need...?" said Chernobog. "Oh. Of course."

"In standard English, please," said Mirabi.

"UEO is banned from every square millimetre of Imperia territory," said Thoth. "However, it isn't similarly restricted in the Solar Union, where it still has considerable political muscle. If we achieve joint sovereignty, however, you can use it as a back door. It's always comes down to the oil with you."

"Of course it does," said Washington-Allah. Despite how nervous he had been when he'd first arrived, his back was straight and there was a steely – or perhaps oily – determination in his eyes. For a moment, I could see all of his family's legacy, stretching back to Ruqayyah al-Udayd al-Salwa al-Allah and Jason Henry Benedict Washington III, in his eyes. "It's everything."

"You don't need to tell us that," said the prince. "It's why we got iron-clad assurances from Dionysus and all of his colleagues in Ching-Tu that you will not be permitted to operate on Titan before we started negotiating properly."

"Yes, I know you did," said Washington-Allah. "But he can still change his mind."

"Ah! So it was you who brought all his gambling debts," said Titus, snapping his fingers. "That was the one detail I couldn't find out."

"What debts?" said Thoth, looking across at him.

"When you're doing an impersonation, knowing is what the subject is ashamed of is vital," said Titus. "It's the only way to be truly convincing."

"Fascinating," said the prince. "But you still don't need to do this, Matt. The pardons are still on the table. I was completely serious."

"Yes, I know you are, Will," said Endovelicus. "The problem is that while you'll forgive us, no one else will. They'll never be prepared to trust us either."

"Those are the same reasons you gave for why you can't work with the J.R.," said the prince.

"For shav's sake! Let's get out of here," said Dalia.

"Yes. Get over here, please, Mr Fall," said Washington-Allah.

"No," said Ricardo, stepping in front of his uncle and raising both his uniguns.

"No, no. Relax," said Titus, putting one hand on Ricardo's shoulder. and walking forwards. "We'll come quietly, Mr Washington-Allah. Of the three options, you'll definitely be the easiest to escape from later. Let's make tracks, Ricardo."

Ricardo raised an eyebrow, but lowered his uniguns. They walked towards Washington-Allah. As Titus passed me, I saw why he was cooperating, and why he was walking with one hand behind his back. He was holding one of the Free Martian's stun grenades, which he must have grabbed when escaping from the holding cells earlier.