Chapter 2

"Courage is of the heart by derivation, and great it is. But fear is of the soul."

- Robert Frost -

***

In a much better mood then she was in the morning, Salem tries to find a path through the crowd, clutching her phone in her hand and upping the volume of the music, trying to drown the chatter from the subway.

"My lover's got humor

She's the giggle at a funeral

Knows everybody's disapproval

I should've worshiped her sooner"

After an hour of working out at the gym and a twenty minutes long shower, resulting in her bathroom looking like a hammam and her like a very relaxed tomato, she had come to the conclusion that her sleep-deprived brain had played tricks on her. What she saw back there was probably only a shadow from tree branches, and with that thought in mind, she had buried herself under a mountain of blankets to get a much-needed rest.

"If the Heavens ever did speak

She is the last true mouthpiece

Every Sunday's getting more bleak

A fresh poison each week"

And now, she was looking forward to a night out enjoying her best friend' silly stories and watching him having, what can only be described as an epileptic seizure, on the dancefloor.

          If I don't break a leg before that.

Clutching the railing that bordered the stairs and prevented anyone from falling backward, she tries to steady herself. The metal is icy under her palms, and she shudders, quickly closing the zipper of her coat. Although the blanket of snow had melted during the day, the weather is still freezing. 

Another shudder rippled through her, but this time it felt somehow different. Chancing a glance behind her back, she tries to find something that would explain the little hairs standing at the back of her neck.

She glances at her left, scanning the crowd, stopping when her gaze lingers on a tall shadow standing next to a pillar. Narrowing her eyes, she is startled when a woman running to catch a taxi blocks her sight. When she tries to discern the figure again, there is nothing there anymore, only the flickering light of the street lamp.

          That's it. I'm giving Lukas his horror' books back.

"If a clown comes out right now, I am killing you, Lukas," she mutters under her breath and focuses on the lyrics in her ears to calm her racing heart.

""We were born sick", you heard them say it

My church offers no absolute