Chapter 5

« You were standing in the wake of devastation,

And you were waiting on the edge of the unknown.

And with the cataclysm raining down,

Insides crying, 'Save me now',

You were there, impossibly alone... »

~ Linking Park, 'Iridescent' ~

***

      Lukas was frantic.

      Two minutes, that was all it took, and she had disappeared. When he had looked up to see her gone, he had ditched the blond immediately, barged in the girl's bathroom before running straight to the bartender. When the man had remembered Salem getting out, drunk, and barely standing, with a friend of hers, a middle-aged man, Lukas had felt sick.

      Salem would never drink, and she would never have left with a friend, especially a man, without warning him before.

      And he would have gone with her.

      He had run down the streets, screaming her name, trying to call her phone, but wherever she was, there must have been no service. His call never connected, and he couldn't pinpoint her location in the "Find My Phone" app they had both activated so they could always find each other.

      The Police were of no help. It was too soon to report her as a missing person, and they had sent him back home with a "maybe you should keep her on a tighter leash if you don't want her to run away with someone else, but hey come back in 24hours if she's not back". He had been two seconds away from ending in a cell himself because the prospect of putting his fist in the face of the officer dismissing him and making fun of his best friend, sounded like a pretty damn good idea. But being incarcerated would not help Salem, and he needed to remain focused on her for the time being. Teaching this asshole that women were not objects would have to wait.

      He had run to her house, opening the door with his spare key, praying that she would be there, but the place was cold and empty.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

      It is now ten hours since her disappearance, and Lukas is pacing his living room, pulling at his hair, muttering insults and prayers for her safety, all the while glancing at his iPad. The "Find My Friend" is open on the screen, and he freshens up the app every few seconds. 

      He should never have left her. He knew it the moment she had asked, and he is so fucking furious at himself for caving in.

      Well, it is never going to happen again. 

      Nope. 

      This is a mistake he is not going to repeat. 

      When he finds her, because he damn well will find her, he is never going to leave her alone in a crowd, ever again. Scratch that, he is never going to leave her alone, fucking period. She could pout and give him her pleading look all she wants — not going to work. He is going to glue himself to her perfect stubborn ass, just so he can make sure that, whatever was happening right now, will not make her go back to the state she was in when he met her.

      A sob breaks free as he reloads the screen, and Lukas doesn't try to stop the tears leaking from his eyes and running through his beard.