Chapter 8

And in the middle of my chaos

There was you

***

The wolves had disappeared in the woods ten minutes ago, and Lukas and Salem were immediately escorted back inside the house. 

Lukas was in shock, and with shaky movements, he had followed them, still alert enough to pull Salem into his arms. His action had made all the men surrounding them stiffen, which had only resulted in Lukas pulling her closer to protect her if they became a threat. 

Now standing in front of the house, Salem glances sadly behind her at Lukas's car. Something tells her she is not going to be able to leave soon, and the thought terrifies her.

The living room is filled with people, and as soon as they enter the house, all chatter dies, and everyone's gaze falls on them. Again she can very faintly feel their awe, and reverence mixed this time with a lot of curiosity. She doesn't have the time to question the strange feelings washing over her before she is surrounded. 

A sea of faces swarms around her, each one of them speaking over the other.

Hands, brushing her shoulders.

Little kids, whimpering and holding out their arms for her to pick them up.

Women, complimenting her and cooing in admiration.

Men, bowing in reverence.

Words of devotions thrown at her.

In the midst of it all, Salem stands, overwhelmed, and still cradling her broken wrist against her chest. She presses herself harder into Lukas's side, who is struggling himself not to be swayed away by the people surrounding them. 

A stronger rub on her shoulder sends her forward, and at the sharp jolt of pain in her wrist that follows her movement, she stifles a whimper. The multiple growls that instantly answer her sound of distress are deafening. They resound in the house, making her bones vibrate, and when they all move impossibly closer, hands reaching to touch her, she panics.

"STOP !" Salem shrieks, and like she just flipped a switch, everybody freezes in front of them, eyes snapping to hers, blinking in undisguised surprise. Some of them paralyzed in the middle of a movement, some stuck mouth wide open.  

Unease washes over her at the feeling of submission coming from them, and she softens her plea, "Please, I just... I don't understand." 

"Move along now, come on." A gruff, almost raspy voice demands, and the crowd split to reveal an older man - short white hair, grey beard, wise green eyes crowded by faint lines that wrinkle. Deep crevices of life, token of his age and wisdom, tighten as he smiles fondly at her. Pushing the children away and turning to the crowd, he adds with an indulgent smile, "She needs a doctor. You can all introduce yourself later. Do not fret young ones, she will not disappear. It is quite impossible, you know that."

          Shit.

The crowd seems to be reassured by that statement.

Salem, however, is not.

Disappearing is on the top list of her priorities right now, and the little "Fuck" whispered on her left, assures her that it is Lukas' goal too.