23: Indirect Aid

A/N: Some clarification: In the canon SG-1 reality, the Stargate and SG-1 belong to the SGC (Stargate Command). But in Dr. Carter's reality, it's the SGA (the 'A' is never explained).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the white light of the Asgard beaming technology came to life in the control room once more, Daniel thought maybe it was an actual Asgard who'd decided to come down and join them. He certainly didn't expect Kaiba to emerge from the light instead. Apparently, the Tok'ra seemed to be just as surprised, if a bit less expressive about it. The widening of the glacial blue eyes was the only visible tell Kaiba had that Daniel could see.

Then those eyes locked on Daniel and narrowed when they noticed the lesion on the archaeologist's forehead. Without a word, Kaiba knelt and pulled a gold and red device from his pocket. After slipping it onto his hand, Kaiba lifted the device up and activated it.

"Woah. Hey!"

A hand struck out from Daniel's right and grabbed Kaiba's collar, pulling the Tok'ra back. The glow from the device faded as it deactivated. Kaiba's eyes gleamed in annoyance a split second before he lashed out with two, sharp jabs to Kawalsky's arm. The airman gasped in dismayed shock when his arm suddenly fell limp and useless by his side.

"I don't tend to react well to attacks from behind," Kaiba said, his calm voice a stark counter to his annoyed expression. "Especially when I'm healing."

"Son of a-" Kawalsky stared at his useless arm, then up at the Tok'ra. "What the hell did you do?"

"Temporary paralysis," Kaiba said, crouching back by Daniel's side and raising the Goa'uld healing device once more. "It'll fade in an hour or so."

"Neat trick," Jack said, eyeing the Tok'ra from where he stood by the newly revived General Hammond. "Teach me?"

Kaiba's lips twitched in the barest hint of a smile. "It's a martial art form that's not taught often anymore," he said.

Jack snorted. "Show off."

That was definitely a smirk.

"Thanks," Daniel grumbled as Kaiba finally leaned back.

He pressed a hand against his forehead and winced. The area was still tender but the wound itself was closed. He flashed a weak smile at Kaiba who frowned suspiciously in return before standing and pocketing the device.

"So that's it?" Dr. Carter said, her expression hopeful. "That's all?"

Teal'c nodded. "I believe so. Apophis will no doubt spread the word of Earth's inclusion into the Protected Planets Treaty to the other System Lords," he said. "It is likely you will hear from them soon to complete the negotiations regarding the specifications of the Treaty in short order."

Dr. Carter took a deep, steadying breath and nodded grimly. "Great."

"I'm guessing the Goa'uld will insist on coming in person for the negotiations," General Hammond said, his elderly eyes sharp despite the death and destruction he'd faced in the past few days.

"They will, yes," Daniel replied, with a nod. "If the format is the same as ours was, then there will be three System Lords and one Asgard present. No weapons will be allowed and only the chosen Earth representative will be allowed to actually discuss the terms with them."

"Just one?" the general demanded. "Why just one? How do we know they won't try something?"

"You should," Kaiba said suddenly. "The System Lords will continuously try to talk around both you and the terms. They live for loopholes and exceptions. The Asgard will be a deterrent against any thoughts of outright violence or shows of force, but it won't stop the intrigue and squabbling."