25: Driving Force

A/N: First, this fic has a TV Tropes page too! Foxfire is now the first of two stories I have on TV Tropes. Bless the readers who made those for my stories. Amazing people.

Second, Canon Timeline Reference: Some time has passed since last chapter, aka the end of the last arc. This chapter begins the next arc and takes place at the tail end of S3E10 of Stargate SG-1 and the tail end of S2E2 of Yu-Gi-Oh!. So Kaiba's Battle City will begin soon and while the Yugi Gang is ready, no one else is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yugi stared down at the gleaming Puzzle in his hands. Never in his wildest dreams had it occurred to him to that one day he would solve it a second time. When Bandit Keith shattered it in that old, unused gymnasium Yugi had felt like a piece of his soul had shattered with it. Ever since he solved the Millennium Puzzle the first time, he'd felt like he had gained something he never knew he was missing.

When Keith shattered the Puzzle, Yugi felt whatever-it-was be ripped away from him. The ringing silence in his head where Yami's voice should be terrified him and the gaping chasm in his chest where Yami's presence should be had threatened to crush his heart. Without Yugi ever realizing it, Yami had nestled into Yugi's psyche so thoroughly that just the thought of losing the spirit terrified him to no end.

Was this what Kaiba felt about his host? Or, maybe not this exactly but something similar.

:It's possible,: Yami whispered, appearing in his ghostly form next to Yugi on the hospital bed. He looped an arm around Yugi's shoulders and held him close. :If the fear of separation is anything like mine, then I don't blame him for being so attached to his host.:

"Do you think, one day, he'll tell us everything?" Yugi asked. "He's changed so much since we first met him. I used to, well, not hate him but..." He flushed and ducked his head in shame. "I didn't like him."

:To be honest, I doubt any of us liked him back then,: Yami said, resting his incorporeal chin on Yugi's head.

They never could understand how Yami's spirit form could hover straight through other people and struggle with inanimate objects while freely interacting with Yugi. Eventually, Jounouchi convinced them to just accept it as 'glowy-magic-pyramid-stuff' and embrace it. Yugi giggled at the memory.

:What's so funny?: Yami asked curiously.

"Nothing," Yugi replied with a ready smile. "How are Jounouchi and Honda doing?"

Yami smiled. :Much better. Anzu came while you were asleep and kicked them out.: He grinned at the disappointment he felt rippling through Yugi's mind. :Don't worry. She'll be back in the morning. I heard she has some good news for you too.:

Yugi visibly perked up. "Really?"

~~XxX~~

"You... You got what?!" Yugi cried, his voice climbing up an octave in his shock.

The brunette girl stood proudly, her hands on her hips, and a sparkle in her teal eyes as she grinned. "You heard me," she declared. "I got the goods on the location for Kaiba's upcoming Battle City Tournament and I made sure we could all go together."

"How the heck did you pull that off?" Jounouchi cried. "Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to even get Kaiba to see me let alone talk to me?"

Mazaki Anzu covered her mouth and snickered derisively. "I suppose a woman's touch was needed," she teased.

Jounouchi slapped a hand over his face while Honda chortled next to him. "Gah! I don't even want to think about that," Joey groaned.