Nine

Our wrists were shackled to the walls and had very little room to move around. We were each locked up on our own cold brick wall of the small, squarish dungeon. "Well, at least it's not solitary confinement," Kanon said, trying to lighten the mood a little. It didn't work.

"I can't believe you did that," I said to Roe in a dangerously low voice. He was on the wall directly across from me.

"Okay, I'd just met you guys," Roe snapped. "How was I supposed to know that you weren't really spies or something?"

"If we were spies, why the hell would he be here?" I said exasperatedly as I motioned my head towards the wall to my right, where Kanon was. Roe shrugged his shoulders.

"C'mon, you guys would have done the same thing if you were in my spot."

"I already told you that I would never do such a thing!" I barked.

"Me either," agreed Kanon. Winder unsurprisingly stayed silent on that chance to comment.

"What about you, Heart? Wasn't all this save the world crap just because you knew that the Black Allies were coming for you guys?"

"I swear, if I wasn't locked to this wall ..."

"What? You would slap me?"

"You have no idea," I said in a dangerously low voice. I wish I could have dropkicked him, and then beaten him to a pulp.

"Will y'all just stop it!" Kanon interjected.

"Ooh, look who's talking Mister I like to point my gun at people just 'cause I can," Winder snickered.

"I've had it with you, Boy!" Kanon barked.

"The feeling's mutual!" Winder spat.

The four of us continued to bicker with the person opposite us for a good five minutes or so.

"This is all your fault!"

"I knew I shouldn't have trusted you!"

"You better get us out of this mess!"

"You're the one who's gonna be sorry!"

"What did you just call me?"

"You're lucky I can't come over there right now!"

"Take that back!"

"I hate you!"

Our bickering continued until the big, wooden dungeon door swung open, to reveal none other than Joker 1 and Joker 2.

"Wha-" Winder started, staring at the Jokers in awe.

Roe blinked a few times to make sure he wasn't seeing things. "Are those the ... the ..."

"Jokers?" Kanon finished. I was so surprised to see them standing there that I couldn't speak. They were definitely not who any of us were expecting to be on the other side of that door. "How'd y'all get here?"

"Through the door," Joker 1 answered, just as I'd anticipated.

"Across the floor."

"Are you done with the silly questions?"

"Or do you wish to ask more?" The two of them then started laughing.

"It wasn't that funny," Winder muttered.

"But, weren't there guards standing out there?" I asked as their laughter settled down.

"Maybe one or two ..." Joker 1 said as he looked at Joker 2. "Or three or four."