O N E ~ A N G E L

J A C K S O N

~ ~ ~

I dropped my things to the floor as I pulled my keys out of my back pocket and opened my locker.

My ears perked up as a few of my co-workers strolled into the locker room, chatting boisterously as usual.

They made eye contact with me and quieted down. Ignoring their presence, I continued packing up my shit, ready for the long day ahead.

"Hey lieutenant, excited for tonight?" Philip, as usual, was the only one courageous enough to speak to me, much to my chagrin.

He was a great fireman. He actually listened to instructions out on the field and was a pretty critical thinker in dire situations. Outside of that though, a damn idiot. He was a self-proclaimed 'ladies' man' and a complete pain in my ass. Actually, if I'm being fair, they're all pains in my ass.

Philip talked too much, lacked a filter and above all, he was the only person in this station that didn't understand the concept of leaving me the hell alone.

"What am I supposed to be excited for? A building to catch on fire? Some drunk idiot to slam into a utility pole?"

This was another problem. Not only did he talk too much, but he never thinks about the things that come out of his mouth. It was one of my biggest pet peeves; an ignorant speaker.

The other men laughed at his expense as he coughed in embarrassment.

I slammed my locker shut, tired of this mind-numbing conversation.

For the next hour or so, I occupied myself with a few case reports in my office, until the sharp sounding of the alarm threw me off guard.

Immediately, I sprung into action, rushing to the ground floor. I caught up with chief on my way and we simply nodded at each other, part of our ongoing mutha agreement. He stays out of my way, I don't leave his station.

My squad and the EMT were already at the garage,  putting on their uniform and PPE. I followed their lead quickly.

We piled into the engine and I sat at the furthest end of the bench as usual. I fixed my glove on my hands as we drove off, wondering what kind of fire we were about to face.

"Dudes, what if the fire is on the top floor or something. You think the chief will let me use the ladder?" I overheard one of the new ELF's say and I couldn't stop myself from scrunching up my face.

What kind of immature assholes was I working with?

We pulled up to the apartment building twenty minutes later and mentally, I was already assessing the possible damage, the structure of the building and the extent of the fire. You could clearly see the smoke coming from about the sixth floor and I just hoped everyone below and above had already evacuated the building.

The tenants of the building had all gathered right outside and the chief directed a few men to move the crowd to the other side of the street.

He stopped a pudgy, balding man who, by the look of things, was probably the owner of the building.

"Sir, do you know which unit the fire is coming from," he asked him, cutting right to the chase.