eighteen

"OKAY, HERE'S THE PLAN. I'll go in through the front, you the back. Go to Maisy's room and see if you can find anything that might help but don't get caught. I'll make sure Johnny doesn't get hurt." Hayden said. They both got out of the car, Kenzie sneaking in through the side door, and Hayden walking through the front. Hayden quickly reached the basement.

"Hi guys, what are you doing?" Hayden awkwardly opened the door to find Brandon and Johnny sitting side by side. But Maisy was nowhere to be seen. 

"You know Brandon is a black belt in karate?" Johnny smiled. "No wonder he kicked the shit out of me at the party," Johnny said.

"Brandon... a word?" Hayden rolled his eyes, dragging Brandon to the corner. 

"What the hell are you doing?" Hayden asked Brandon. 

"Me and Johnny are friends now! Well, until Maisy finds something on his phone to blackmail him with..." Brandon said. 

"Are you kidding?  You guys took his phone?" 

"It's fine, he doesn't know. But he will if I don't keep him distracted so move it fucker," Brandon laughed, shoving Hayden to the side. "If you have a problem, Mais is in her room looking through his phone." 

Shit. That's where Kenzie was. 

KENZIE quietly approached Maisy's bedroom. She'd been in it hundreds of times, but never for this purpose. She always felt the wamth of Maisy's blue comforter, able to use the blanket to block out Maisy when she slept over. Now, the blanket just looked disgusting-- Maisy owned it. Kenzie peered into the medium sized room to see Maisy laying on her stomach, scrolling through Johnny's phone. That bitch. Kenzie just needed to find a way to get Maisy out of her room, and leave the phone, so she could get it back. And possibly find anything on Lilia that Maisy may have been hiding in plain sight. 

Suddenly, Kenzie thought of an idea. She stepped into the hall bathroom and locked the door. Then she dialed Johnny's number as a No Caller ID caller. Maisy declined. She dialed it again and again and again, until Maisy finally answered.

"WHAT?" Maisy yelled into the phone, causing Kenzie to almost drop hers into the toilet. She regained her momentum quickly and lowered her voice. 

"John, it's Mom. Why are you using your phone? Verizon says it could blow up any minute if you keep using it!" Kenzie said, hoping it sounded believable. 

"—WHAT?" What should I do?" Maisy screamed.

"Uh you're not John, but either way you could be in danger. Just drop the phone wherever you are and exit the room. Leave it for 15 minutes and then it should be fine," Kenzie said. Somehow Maisy believed her, quickly hung up, and ran out of the room. Dumbass. 

As soon as Maisy scurried to the basement, Kenzie ran out of the bathroom and into Maisy's room. She only had 15 minutes until she had to leave. She grabbed Johnny's phone and powered it off, in case Maisy tried calling it. Then she started to look. She looked in Maisy's closets, her hampers, all her drawers, under her pillow, and more. But nothing. Maybe she doesn't have anything. Maybe Kenzie would be trapped forever. These thoughts roamed Kenzie's mind as she sighed and dropped to the floor. She just collapsed, tired of everything. She was tired of Maisy's hold on her, she just wanted to be free. 

As she flailed her arms on the ground, she felt something. Under Maisy's bed. A stack of papers. Curiously, Kenzie shoved her arms under the bed, grabbing as many white papers as she could. 

They all were labeled "Georgina Smith: The Story". Kenzie knew. This wasn't a story Maisy wrote. Georgina Smith was Maisy's cover name. Her crime name. On these papers were all sorts of purchases. Every beer Maisy bought, any cigarettes she took. The cars she stole, the fines against her. But this wouldn't help... everyone knew about this all already. All it would do is suspend her for a week. Panning was horrible with expelling kids. She needed more. As Kenzie shuffled through the various receipts, something caught her eye. It was a picture... of Lilia.

It was hard to breathe. This could be it. Kenzie slowly opened the picture frame, untwisting the hinges. Inside of the frame, was a little book. Maisy hid it in there the entire time! Kenzie read through it and was shocked. Timed details about where Lilia would be at what time. When to catch her. And finally on the bottom of the page marked in red was the date February 25th, 2015. It was labeled "Georginia and Robert extermination,". Now Kenzie knew for sure. Brandon and Maisy were murderers. "Next time don't try and leave bitch," Maisy doodled on the side of the page. Kenzie quickly grabbed the notebook, pushed everything else back under Maisy's bed, and ran out of the house. 

When she got in the car, Hayden and Johnny were waiting for her. They were quiet, not making a sound. Kenzie went into the passenger seat, Hayden next to her driving, as Johnny sat in the back. 

"Here's your phone," Kenzie smiled, giving it to Johnny. "Sorry you two had to talk to Maisy and Brandon, they're horrible." Kenzie said looking down. Then she started shaking, remembering what was in her hand. The notebook. 

"Guys, Maisy and Brandon killed Lilia on February 25th, 2015. And I have the evidence," After Kenzie said it, she expected Johnny and Hayden to be happy, at least happy that she found something to prove justice. Instead they just looked scared. 

"What? You guys are acting like they're in her-" Kenzie said, realizing her mistake. 

"Drive Hayden." Maisy shot up from the trunk, Brandon next to her holding a gun. What the fuck.