1

Hi! Before you start reading, I'd like to suggest you visit my page and take a look at the revised version of this book! It's fully edited with extra scenes and honestly, it's just a better book, lol

Mom and Dad have me wait in the car with Susie as they speak to the tall man in the yellow shirt. I can't read it from here but I think it says the name of the camp. 

I look over at Susie and sigh. I wish she would do something cool. All she does is sleep and cry. I think all kids should be seven years old all the time. Not sixteen and a jerk like David, not two months and boring like Susie. Seven and interesting and awesome like me. Plus, if everyone was seven, then the store wouldn't ever run out of dinosaur chicken nuggets. 

The van door slides open and Mom holds her hand out. She helps me out of the van. Dad already has all of my bags. The tall man crouches down to look me in the eye and sticks his hand out. I awkwardly shake it. 

"My name is Hunter and I'm gonna be your cabin counselor," he says. "What's your name?"

"Tyler," I say. 

He stands straight up very quickly and I almost want to get back in the van. He's too tall and too sudden. 

"How old are you?" he asks as we start walking. Mom practically drags me along. "I'm twenty-three." 

"I'm seven," I tell him. 

He nods like it's an accomplishment and keeps walking in silence. I watch the awkward steps his feet make instead of looking around the camp. I'd rather watch his shoes. He's tall even compared to Dad. That's why he's walking so weird, so we can keep up. 

I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this many bunk beds. There's maybe six crammed into this tiny room. The bottom bunk of the corner bed is the only one unmade. There's a wild-looking redheaded boy trying to make his bed on the top bunk. 

The man in the yellow shirt clears his throat and the boy looks up sharply, hitting his head on the ceiling with a hiss and a thunk. He hops down and bows clumsily. 

"I'm Jack!" he says. 

I don't know what to do with that. Who bows as a greeting? Why can't I introduce myself? 

Mom elbows me and I find my voice. "T-Tyler." 

Jack grins. "Nice to meet you, T-Tyler." 

"No, I meant-" 

Jack cuts me off by climbing up the ladder to finish making his bed. 

"Since it's your first time here, I can show you around the camp if you'd like," the man in the yellow shirt suggests. 

I nod enthusiastically. I don't want to get lost on my first day. 

"Alright, honey, you go and we'll make your bed," Mom says. She starts toward my bed. 

I step in front of her and take my bag, feeling my face turn red. Certainly Jack is going to torture me over that. Calling me honey in front of a stranger? I thought they were smarter than that. 

Mom shifts on her feet, eyebrows coming together. 

"I can do it," I tell her. She and Dad exchange a surprised look. 

The man in the yellow shirt laughs. "Alright, let me walk you back to your car, Mr. and Mrs. Ybarra. Tyler, I'll give you the tour later, alright?" 

"I can do it, Hunter," Jack says, now hanging upside down off the side of the bed. 

Who's Hunter? Oh, the yellow shirt guy. I'm an idiot. 

Hunter nods and I feel my face heat up again. They left me alone with a strange kid.