13

"You're insane," I whisper.

Jack just grins at me. "Sorry. Once you guys leave, I'll sneak out."

"You'll be late for school. And you were supposed to be driving me today."

"I forgot," he says.

I shake my head and look over at the clock.

"If you get dressed now and go out the window, you might be able to make it home in time for a shower."

"Out the window? And I'm the insane one?"

"You're the one who fell asleep!"

"Tyler!"

"Jack!"

He laughs and kisses me. I watch him get up and dressed. He slips smoothly out the window and I can hear his car start from four houses away.

I shower and throw my sheets in the washing machine. Mom would kill me if she smelled Jack in my room in that way.

He shows up on time. Louisa notes that his hair is partially wet and gives me a look. I pull my hood up over my own wet hair.

Mom doesn't suspect a thing.

That's the first time he's ever fallen asleep. I think I slept better than I have since I came out. But it can't happen again. My parents can't know. They're still wary of me. I haven't had a real conversation with them in seven months.

Jack doesn't fall asleep again for another two months. This time, we're not so lucky.

I'm awoken by my mother screaming.

Jack and I jerk awake. She's standing in the doorway, hands over her mouth, Dad standing behind her looking equally as horrified. Louisa is behind him looking extremely amused.

We don't go to school. My parents call Jack's parents and they call him out of school. Mom tells them that I have an illness. Jack's tell them that he needs a personal day to sort some stuff out.  We sit in the living room all day listening to my parents lecture us on sex before marriage while they debate whether or not they think gay marriage should even be legal. Jack's parents keep interjecting and defending us. They apparently know what we do when I spend the night there. It's kind of mortifying.

Jack's parents get into a huge argument with mine. Jack and I take the opportunity to go upstairs and grab our stuff. He grabs all my school stuff while I throw a bunch of clothes into a bag. I always stay at Jack's when stuff like this happens.

They don't even notice that we leave, they're so busy screaming at each other. Jack and I go to the park and sit on the swings, not talking. He just takes my hand and sighs.

It's completely silent until Jack's parents call to ask where we are. They tell us to come home, to their house, so we do. They don't mention the fight or anything, but another bag of my stuff is in the guest room, alone with my skating trophies, a picture of me and my siblings, and every single framed picture of Jack and me that was in the house, including several from my room.

Oh.

Okay, then.

I sleep in Jack's room. We don't do anything. He just comforts me while I sob into his shoulder all night.

Louisa texted to make sure I was okay, but my parents haven't said anything at all.

The next morning, I take some Advil and pray that I don't look like I was crying. God doesn't seem to like me very much. I really do hope He has a plan to make my life better. Though I can't tell if it would be better if my parents let me back in the house.

Jack is by my side pretty much the whole school day. He comes to the chess meeting. He drives us back to his house. He gives me space until I tell him that I don't want space. Then we watch a movie.

When I first came out, I used to watch my parents for any little sign that they didn't want me anymore. I don't know how I missed this.

I think I knew it was going to happen, though. I've mentally prepared myself for this. I think it's weird that I'm actually completely fine.

I stay with him for about a week before anything interesting happens. Jack's sick, so I go to school alone. But on my way to lunch, people keep looking at me weird.

I walk in and Jack's there with a huge banner that says something about prom. I don't even read it, I'm so stunned. Someone takes a picture and goes, "Oh, fuck, the flash was on." and I'm yanked back to life.

"So?" Jack asks.

I look from him to the faces of the people holding the banner. His parents, Louisa, and every single known LGBT+ person in the entire school.

"Oh, my God."

Jack sighs exasperatedly. "Dude, you're killing me here."

"Yes," I say, far too quietly.

"What?"

"Yes."

Jack grins. He throws his arms around me, and, to my surprise, kisses me. Everyone in the lunchroom makes some sort of surprised sound. Louisa squeals excitedly.

I thought he was asking me as some sort of friendly gesture. Like, hey look if they gay kid can go with his straight friend, I can wear a sombrero to prom. Or something. I don't know. I'm just yellow and pink and so, so in love.

I can't stop smiling.

The rest of the day, people are congratulating me. The jocks don't even look my way. I think Jack's bodyguarding will be more intense now.

But nobody even bothers us. We're happy and out and it's wonderful. David contacted social services when he found out that I was kicked out and that apparently scared my parents back into compliance, because I go back home.

They barely speak to me, but at least I have Louisa and Susie.

Jack and I somehow both get nominated for prom king. For the first time ever, our high school has two prom kings.

I don't think I've ever been this happy.