11

I wake up the next morning and realize that I'd fallen asleep sitting up, leaning against Jack. After the on-patrol counselors interrogated us last night, we were sent back to bed. I couldn't sleep, so Jack sat with me. I guess we both fell asleep like that.

When I sit up, Jack starts awake. We're in our cabin alone. Kieran and Henry's beds are both cleaned off, luggage gone as well. Jack is absolutely furious.

"I mean, I woke up and the three of you were gone, and then I went outside and they were about to push you off the dock and I swear. I just saw red. I'm gonna kill them. I'm gonna find out where they're from and kill them. Are you okay? I mean, that must've been so traumatizing."

"I'm alright," I tell him. He sighs and collapses back onto my bunk. "I think I was just in shock last night."

He takes my hand. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"I should've heard them. I could've handled it better. I don't know. I'm just sorry."

"Hey, no, this isn't your fault. It was them. And I think I just overreacted."

Jack hits my hand. "Stop belittling yourself. You reacted an appropriate amount."

I don't know how to reply, and I don't get to. Dominic walks in and cuts me off. Jack rips his hand away from mine and it's clear that Dominic notices.

"So I see you two are awake now," he says awkwardly. "We didn't want to wake you up after what happened. It's almost lunch. You've almost missed the morning service." He sends a pointed look at where our hands are. "Something to tell me?"

"N-No," I say too quickly.

Dominic laughs. "It's fine. I just need to know if I need to move someone around."

Jack sighs. "How'd you know? Was it the heels?"

"No, it wasn't the heels. It's just the two of you. Always together. Always whatever. I don't know. Maybe I made it up in my head and you just confirmed it. Anyway, we should get going to lunch. How's your lip, Tyler?"

"My what?"

I touch my lips and suddenly the bottom right side hurts. Jack looks confused. I get up to look in the mirror. Sure enough, my lip is split. It looks awful. When did this happen? I don't remember it at all.

I must've bitten my lip when they dropped me or something. Jack and Dominic don't look like they're going to tell me. And I don't want to ask a stupid question.

"Let's go to lunch," I say.

Jack smiles at me and holds his hand out. I take it and help him up. He shifts his eyes from me to Dominic, then back to me. A quick forehead kiss to make me blush furiously and we're off. Dominic just laughs at us.

At lunch, everyone stares at us. We're late and Jack and I look like crap. Dominic just sits us down, whispering to us that the whole thing was supposed to be a secret, but now the entire camp knows. I guess that's why everyone is staring at me like I'm a freak. The knowing-look girl from last night looks sad. I don't know why.

Dominic says that they don't know that I really am gay, but I think it's pretty obvious. Considering the fact that I run around in heels every Wacky Wednesday, you'd think they'd catch on. You'd think I would catch on.

Nobody says anything about it, though. They just make sure I'm okay. Some of the counselors won't look at me. Hunter keeps glancing over but doesn't talk to me. I don't know what to do with that. Does it mean that he still cares but doesn't want to be around me because I'm gay? I never thought he was homophobic. I don't know. I don't know anything. Today is too pink. It needs to be yellow and happy and normal. I can't even keep myself focused.